"Imagine" (some posts removed by author)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I think you are trying to make something black and white which in reality has massive shades of grey.

There are some things (pedophillia, rape, murder) that society as a whole is in general agreement are unethical. There are other things (patio heaters, heated fishponds, feed-in tarrifs) which you belive are unethical but there is clearly not general agreement on that fact.

In a poster came along who belived having electricity in the home at all was unethical and proceeded to use that as a reason to disrupt every thread would you expect the mods and admins to let them stay arround.

Sponsored Links
I do see where you are going but think you have missed out an important alternative.

Do nothing.

Many times on the forum I feel for whatever reason I don't want to answer the question.

There will always be those who would ask for copies of the pictures of course but on this forum we have moderators I always called them sysops from the days of radio forums and I would say the same rules apply as to radio forums it is up to the sysop to exclude those he thinks are being unreasonable.

As with the radio days it is up to the sysop to show he has behaved reasonable and I am sure if some one did post a request of that type if you did nothing the sysop would remove it and if all did nothing it would soon scroll down the list.

Some forums do have a button to click to send a request to the sysop with your thoughts about why it should be removed. However the speed of reaction on your post does show with this forum that is not really required.

So in real terms it is rather a pointless question.

I was licensed as VR2ZEP and as a member of HARTS (Hong Kong Amateur Transmitting Society) I was allowed to use the repeaters and given a personal key to gain access.

Once I or any other member had opened up the repeater anyone with a radio could join in the net and there were those who were not licensed who would disrupt it for all. We referred to them as IQ0's.

Over time many ideas were tried to control this abuse and it was found the best method was to simply turn off your radio with no response people got bored and stopped using the repeater.

As a result it was written into the rules that we should simply stop using the repeater. If we did not we would lose our access rights.

It worked and that is the point. As soon as anyone starts to voice opinions as to rights and wrongs of what a poster is doing you destroy the thread and turn it into a slinging match. This is then counter productive.

So from experience the answer is simple do nothing. Often posters who want to they say use a patio heater are in fact not really wanting to use one they just enjoy an argument and you bite every time.

If no one takes the bate they will give up and fish else where.

Sponsored Links
I was licensed as VR2ZEP and as a member of HARTS (Hong Kong Amateur Transmitting Society) I was allowed to use the repeaters and given a personal key to gain access.

Once I or any other member had opened up the repeater anyone with a radio could join in the net and there were those who were not licensed who would disrupt it for all. We referred to them as IQ0's.

Over time many ideas were tried to control this abuse and it was found the best method was to simply turn off your radio with no response people got bored and stopped using the repeater.

As a result it was written into the rules that we should simply stop using the repeater. If we did not we would lose our access rights.

It worked and that is the point. As soon as anyone starts to voice opinions as to rights and wrongs of what a poster is doing you destroy the thread and turn it into a slinging match. This is then counter productive.

So from experience the answer is simple do nothing. Often posters who want to they say use a patio heater are in fact not really wanting to use one they just enjoy an argument and you bite every time.

If no one takes the bate they will give up and fish else where.

I don't know whether you wrote that for this reason, but it does equate exactly to trolling on this forum.

I have been saying for years that, if a poster is suspected of trolling, it is best just to ignore them. They may well try to stir it again and again, but will soon become bored and go away.

I have to say that I feel this forum is comparatively prone to trolling because members are willing to continue 'discussions' with them. I know that it is sometimes very difficult to resist pointing out to some people that they are prats, but once that has been made quite clear it would be best to ignore them.

Is this another load of dross dumped here from the sparks forum?

Edit.
Ohh yeah it is.

BAS, someone asks a question on the electrical forum, expecting an answer to the question. He could have asked, can I still use 100w rough service light bulbs in my house? The answer is of course , yes. His choice to waste electricity if he so chooses. It's not up to any of us to impose our own set of values on him. We can point out where we think the OP is perhaps extravagant, and point him in the direction of 11w LED bulbs instead, but should never berate him for his choice to use 100w bulbs.
Ask yourself,, just how much energy are you wasting when your on here? Perhaps you should consider joining the Friends of the Earth, or the Green Party. You can of course go the whole hog and disconnect yourself from humanity completely and live in a cave. Candle light can be your only source of luminance in the evening and I'm sure a nice log fire in the middle of the cave will provide all your heating and cooking needs. I'm sure squirrel roasted over this will be quite nutritious and there's always plenty of nuts, blackberry's and other stuff free at this time of the year. Don't forget to stock up though,,, Winter's coming. ;) ;)

I visit a private woodland. The owner promotes natural forest practice where some of the wood produced if left to rot. But he can't allow it to go completely natural as invaders can arrive like knot weed and destroy the woodland so he still needs to inspect his woodland and give himself access specially to the stream. Although some wood is left to rot he does remove some for his own use 20 acres is enough for that.

To encourage people to visit it is common to after an event or during the event in his woodland to light a brazier and both keep people warm and often cook sausages as it dies down. This is really no different to using a patio heater. Yet I don't think any visitors would accuse him of not being environment friendly he has devoted his live to saving the environment.

Even the case of cameras in the bathroom I am sure some premisses do have cameras to ensure intruders are not hiding there when the shop is being closed. And yes of course hidden or the intruders can hide out of its range.

It is easy to criticise from a distance and when one arrives on site one realises there are factors one had never considered.

However after this post I feel I should then follow my own advice and ignore this thread and allow it to sink to the bottom of the pile.

I do applaud your decision to confront issues that you earnestly object to, BAS.
However, I do also agree with some other comments. For instance,
a) I do think that the GD forum, for all it's problems and weaknesses, is the right place to discuss ethical issues such as yours, even though, on this occasion it is directly linked to a DIY question.
b) I also agree, that sometimes, a null response, or a simple objection to the concept, in the DIY forum is sufficient, and any further argument or discussion belongs elsewhere.
c) I also agree that there are black and white issues, but that the particular issue that raised this point about ethics was not black and white, but shades of grey.
d) In the particular example that you used, a simple referral to an appropriate organisation would be the right thing to do.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, what is right may not be good, and what is good may not be right.

What is the point in worrying about wasting energy unless everyone has to conform? The street lights outside my house go off at midnight and the street is in complete darkness. I often wonder if the lights outside Buckingham Palace or Downing street also go off at midnight as well.

Sponsored Links
Back