converting audio files

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.
can anyone tell me of a way I can convert legally downloaded wma files with digital rights management to mp3 so I can put them on my ipod? I'm fed up with burining them onto cd's and then ripping that cd to mp3.

the site I download from only provides wma files. I cant use itunes to download as I only have windows 98 and itunes wont work with that.

Also, as a side issue, has anyone got any views on downloading mp3's from american sites where they are only about 10cents each? is this legal and has anyone had any problems?

Sponsored Links
thanks for the reply. just tried, but no luck. seems the digital rights management thing is something which is more difficult to overcome.

Should be able to use Easy CD creator, it comes packed with alot of CDRW machines when you buy them.

Save your WMA to cd then load cd into Easy creator, right click then convert to MP3.

Sponsored Links
thanks expertboy, but the thing is, I want to circumvent burningthem to cd. its a pain in the a*** and wasteful too. any ideas? I want to directly convert rights protected wma to another format. ive tried using a grab program that records sound from the sound card as you play the actual file, but the sound quality is poor and my pc is a bit poo and sometimes you get interruptions during playback.

jime17 said:
thanks expertboy, but the thing is, I want to circumvent burningthem to cd. its a pain in the a*** and wasteful too. any ideas? I want to directly convert rights protected wma to another format. ive tried using a grab program that records sound from the sound card as you play the actual file, but the sound quality is poor and my pc is a bit poo and sometimes you get interruptions during playback.

Soz pal i know of no programme which does this due to copyright protections built into the programmes, when you load from CD the copyright protection is lifted because you are legally allowed to make a back up of discs.

If you use a CD-RW disc to burn them too you are not wasting discs, and lets face it it only takes a few minutes to burn with a decent writer.

jime17 said:
I want to circumvent burningthem to cd. its a pain in the a*** and wasteful too.

DRM is difficult to circumvent and so it is not simple to "un-lock" tracks.

The simplest solution is to burn to CD then back to MP3 as mentioned earlier, use CD re-writables to minimise cost.

Back