18v cordless ryobi jigsaw cuts out immediately when sawing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just started using a brand new 18v Ryobi Jigsaw today, but every time the blade makes contact with the wood - the jigsaw cuts out.

I am using the Ryobi blades supplied and I also tried other blades to rule this out, but still the same thing happens. It runs ok in idle mode, but as soon as i start sawing - even small softwood 1inch thick with a 100mm blade (well within the dimension specifications for the blade) it still cuts out when it comes into contact with the wood.

The blade seems to fit in ok. And it's not loose, I even try to remove it after it cuts out, but the blade is still in position nice and firm and not possible to remove as it is still locked in ok.
I am using in 0 degrees setting too and approaching the wood slowly (it is by no means under any great stress).

any ideas what could cause this please?
I don't know if it is faulty or if am i doing something wrong.

thanks

Sponsored Links
Excuse me asking the obvious question, is the battery fully charged?
Do you have a second one to try?

also how old are the batteries
what sort as in nicads 1.5/1.7or 2ah
or li-ions at 1.3/1.5 2.4 or 4ah

I charged the 1.5a brand new lithium battery 2wks ago.
But actually you were right it was indeed the battery.
I was so surprised it didn't hold its charge in that time!

Surely this can't be normal?

I recharged again used a couple of mins on 4 pieces of 2x3 timber and its low again!

Sponsored Links
do you have any other tools chargers or batteries in the one + range ??

i'll test the drill properly tomorrow. Only used it a little and so far I am happy with the power output (or the torque required on the drill), just unsure of the batteries ability to hold power.

other comments

li-ions will stop dead when getting low to stop total discharge as they fail if flat

if you leave the battery after charging[to cool down ]for say 20 mins does it run any better??

also i assume this is a kit bought complete as matching package from a reputable dealer brand new ??

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back