Tapered edge plasterboard or square edge?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm putting up plasterboard for a ceiling in a back bedroom which is very small (2 sheets of 2400 x 1200 will be more enough). Someone told me that I should use tapered edge PB but when I went to Jewsons the manager said that if it was going to be skimmed then I should be using square edge so that was what I got. Was he right and have I got the right stuff?

Sponsored Links
Taper edge plasterboard is actually made for dry lining where the two tapers meet and filled to create an invisible joint

For normal plaster work ,Square edge plasterboard is perfect

|I hope this can be of some help

Sponsored Links
I'm having a problem getting my screws into the joists. The PB is 9.5mm and there is 50mm Xtratherm insulation above it so I wanted screws that would go about 20mm into the joists - therefore 80mm long was needed. The nearest to this that I could find were "Eastdrive BZP Fine Thread Drywall 100mm" but they won't go right into the joists but leave about 20mm sticking out below the PB. Am I using the wrong screws? If so can anyone please advise on a better screw?

I think you should of put the insulation between the joists !!! I would of used 12.5mm plasterboard. You should only need 32mm screws that way you will get your 20mm in the joists...

I've actually already got 50mm of Xtratherm between the joists but I've put a sheet of Xtratherm under the joists as well, to increase the insulation. The problem I've now got is finding a screw that will go into the joists more easily. The ones I've got will go so far and then they won't budge further.

You might have been better putting 2"x2" battens across the joists and put your insulation in between them, then plaster boarded with normal screws....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back