Plumbing in washing machine - no p trap in place

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm planning to move my washing machine from it's temporary home to my new utility.

I assume I need a standard 15mm -> 3/4 inch washing machine tap to connect the cold water to the inlet.

But .. what do I do about the washing machine waste? As per the image below, you can see I don't have a p trap installed :cry:

2e0l1d0.jpg

The pipe feeding in from the right is the drain from my unvented megaflo cylinder and that means I don't have a connection for a p trap. Is there a way I can connect another tee to the top of the standpipe as I can't seem to find such a product online. (I maybe having a google fail!)

Sponsored Links
Any washing machine supply valve will do. Make it point down so it will not strain hose pipe.

Can use a w/m standpipe with a 90 bend or use a "s" trap.

Not sure if plastic pipe can be use for drainage for megaflo.

Daniel.

You can use a washing machine stand pipe, with trap, adding a 90deg bend downwards to connect into that coupling. Keep it well clipped to the wall!
John :)

Thanks for the replies chaps.

I understand how I can fit an S bend. Presumably I then need an extra bit of vertical straight pipe so that it sits higher than the drain point of the washing machine (i.e. so it stops siphoning - read that somewhere so hopefully correct!)

Sorry for being dense ... but what is a 'standpipe with a 90 degree bend' ? Any links out there of what I require?

Sponsored Links
Screwfix 18640 is the stand pipe.
Add a short length of 40mm pipe to the outlet, coupled to a 40mm 90deg bend. Add another short length of 40mm pipe from that bend to connect to the existing coupling.
John :)

What makes you think you need a trap? Is there no air break under the ground? With that open pipe, I'm sure you would have smelt sewer already if not.

What makes you think you need a trap? Is there no air break under the ground? With that open pipe, I'm sure you would have smelt sewer already if not.

Good question. I've just assumed that it's the right thing to do. Certainly have not had any foul smells coming up in the last month or more that the pipe has been in.

I guess belt and braces approach is to put in a trap regardless.

Also not sure if building control pick up on this kind of thing

The question really is what was the drain serving before? If it was a gully for a previous machine or rainwater it's most likely got a trap of some kind. You can test and therefore demonstrate this by plunging a dry stick down the pipe until it reaches the bottom. If it comes out with 3" wet at the base you're almost certainly looking at a trap down there already.

When I did our utility, which included having to do the drains too, I purposefully put the trap below ground in 110mm pipe as I wanted the washing machine to have the least possible number of excuses to flood the place.

View media item 63969

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back