extracting bath in tight space!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I guess the previous owner of my house thought it smart to build the bathroom around the bath. Not a plastic but steel one. It gets worse - kitchen units on other side of partition wall abutting tap end, 12" brick supporting wall at foot end all nicely sealed in with distasteful tiling!

20 years on and the bath is showing signs of wear and I would like an upstairs bathroom. How to extract the bath? I can only think of two ways:
1) cut it in half twice and remove the middle slice
2) chop out a bath-sized hole in the brick wall & drag it out lengthways into the conservatory

Which would be cheaper/safer? Any other suggestions?

[/b]

Sponsored Links
Thank you, I hope it's cast iron as a plumber told me it could be steel. I thought it could be cut with a circular grinder if necessary.
At least I won't have to break the wall down.
Andy8

If the plumber said it's steel, it's steel. Cast iron hasn't been used for normal installations for lifetimes.
If it's steel you'd probably be better off with a good jigsaw than an angle grinder. You'll get through a few blades but with a lot less evil dust than a grinder.

Sponsored Links
hit it with a large hammer and if it breaks its cast, if it puts a big dent in it then its steel.
and wear eye protection when you do it

thanks for the info - will pass it on. I was thinking about how to avoid clouds of toxic dust with the grinder

Or hire an oxy acetylene torch! :p

house-on-fire-o.gif

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back