What is this in my drill bit box

Sponsored Links
I think you'll find it's a guide to hold the screwdriver bit on the screw head.

Sponsored Links
Interesting you brought up the slotted screws. I was wondering if anyone used them anymore, and why would they use them... or why were people using them in the past instead of cross head? When was cross head invented?

It's been much discussed I think. Slotted screws came first of course and are still common in electrical accessories for some reason.

Philips came around in the 30s I think and then Pozidriv started coming into general use around the late 50s. People still get the two mixed up but generally Pozidriv is better and designed not to cam out as much.

The torx etc I'm not sure of dates but better on production line as you need only 60° max to engage the screw, and the straight edges mean it doesn't cam out at all.

It seems to vary country to country. The yanks seem to use Torx all over the place in general carpentry. But you rarely see them here, just Pozidriv in anything remotely recent.

I use nothing but torx - far superior in my opinion.

And what are you screwing in? What do you do?

I'm a builder. Any job that I would have previously used a pozi headed screw I now use a torx head, so any general timber fixing or into plugs etc - cam out pretty much non existent with a torx head.

I used to use the Timco screws but find these just as good and cheaper, I've used thousands of them and never had a problem.

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Scr...lti+Purpose+Screw+40+x+45mm/d90/sd3267/p48932

****, I didn't realise you could get screws in torx - i've used thousands on my diy renovation past few months...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back