Do I need a replacement roof?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi.
I have what I think is a concrete tiled roof from when our bungalow was built in the late 50s / early 60s.
When we moved in we repaired leaks in the 2 valleys. We also asked a builder to check / repair and fit new upvc soffits etc as needed.
In hindsight I don't have much confidence in what he did but cannot say there has been a specific problem with his work apart from new mortar falling into the gutters.
However we believe we may be getting some 'minor' damp from above into the walls. In addition a lot of 'dust' falls into the gutters meaning that they need unblocking quite often. In places we also have some minor moss growth on the tiles.
Our builder friend says the roof is near the end of it's life but my searches on the internet suggests the roof could last another ~30-50 years.
Can someone please advise how I can tell if I should be considering a new roof?
Thank you,
Pete

Sponsored Links
Pics would help - pics of everything mentioned. i'd find it personally impossible to give you an opinion based on the information so far.

If you do have concrete roof tiles and they have been up there for 50yrs then its certainly going to look tired.

Sponsored Links
It is an industry myth that once your roof tiles reach a certain age, they become porous.

However, if a roof constantly requires maintenance then it is time to bite the bullet.

Some people believe that if a roof looks old then it must need replacing. Wrong. Theses same people also believe that a painted roof or a shiny concrete drive is somehow "better" than one that has moss or dirt on it.

A roof is subjected all the crud God's earth can throw at it. Of course it is going to look tired and dirty.

Thanks to all who've answered so far.

I've got some photos which I will hopefully manage to upload successfully. There may be too many but if so, sorry to bore you but I wasn't sure what you'd want to see.
There a couple showing moss on N facing tiles under the chimney. As far as I know I don't have an issue there.
Moss seems to grow mostly at the ends of the roofs but not a great deal IMHO

I'm not sure how you get to see the pictures I've uploaded but the link is below. The album you need is titled "roof tiles"
//www.diynot.com/network/peteuk/albums/

If I need to do something else please teach me - thank you

That roof has a good bit of life left in it yet.

Valleys, verges and ridges are the weak points.

That roof has a good bit of life left in it yet.

Valleys, verges and ridges are the weak points.

The tiles may look ok in the photo but I would personally not feel comfortable in making such a definitive statement(though you may well be right), we all know there are other components that make a roof and those are hidden, including the timber battens, the underfelt, the roofing nails and the quality of the installation.

We don't know the levels of water impermeability or the flexural strength, all which will have been effected over the years, the tiles may be porous.

Thanks for the replies.
I understand all concrete tiles are porous as per Noseall's comments, even from new.

If it helps anyone make a better diagnosis I can obviously take more pictures.....

My thinking is to get the underfelt checked out around the bottom of the roof on all sides and maybe put in the new plastic verges / ridge tiles unless someone reckons there's a major problem here.
Any thoughts on this as a plan?

Or will it need replacing in say 10 years time? If so I might as well get it all done as soon as I can save up for it methinks.........

Thanks again, Pete

No point in getting the felt checked, the bottom will be shot and possibly the battens.

If the roof isn't leaking or causing any real issues I'd leave it alone, just maintain it to keep it watertight.

You can't put a time on it, ie in 10 years.

I've inspected tiled roofs that are 50 years old and fine and some 30 years old that are shot.

Thanks for the replies.
I understand all concrete tiles are porous as per Noseall's comments, even from new.

Thanks again, Pete
then you misunderstand noseall - he said porous tiles are an industry myth ;)

Thank you all for your advice even though I'm not sure I fully understand. :confused: Here's where I get to:

If that's what Noseall meant about porosity then I did misunderstand. :oops: However I've read that the felt and gravity should keep the roof dry so I don't think that's an issue (unless you tell me different of course)

It may be worth installing the new plastic verges / ridge tiles to ensure no problems in these areas

There doesn't seem to be a definitive way for me to tell if the tiles need replacing. "I've inspected tiled roofs that are 50 years old and fine and some 30 years old that are shot." How did you identify those that were 'shot'?

I have some tiles spare that used to be on the pitched roof until I had the new flat dining room roof done. Is there a way I can test using these?

Thank you again, I appreciate you all taking the time to help, Pete

Thanks terrypin,

I had the verge replaced at the front and some tiles were damaged in that process: some by the guy doing the job (cut wrong) and some I believe he thought were "fragile". (I'll ask him). Most tiles were ok to be put back as they were.

I'm not planning to be walking on the roof so unless I get visible leaks it looks like I might as well stay with what I've got. (I think :confused: )

I'll probably replace the verges and ridge tiles for my own peace of mind even though it's an expensive way to reduce future maintenance and see what happens unless I receive further advice on here.

Thanks again, it's a great site made great by you guys being willing to support those of us who don't have the knowledge. Drinks all round, cheers.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back