Ivy

JBR

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We need the outside of our house re-painting, but ivy is growing on the front of the house on a rendered wall. Personally, I like the look of the ivy, but my wife insists that the house be re-painted!

What is the normal procedure in such circumstances (discounting a divorce!)? Is it possible to paint around the ivy in some way?

I'd be grateful for any advice.

Sponsored Links
It normally dies off if you cut through the thick stem at the bottom. It mostly comes off ok then but it does wrap itself quite tenaciously around guttering etc so a bit of work will be required. I would think there are killers you can buy from the garden centre that may or may not act faster. Some creepers get into render cracks and pointing so death is the best option for removal!

I've cut back the ivy where it was threatening to enter the eaves, but I'd like to keep it if I can.
Is it not possible to keep the ivy and paint round it?
If it really is necessary to kill it and remove it, won't it leave marks all over the rendering?

Sponsored Links
I call Ivy the cancer of the Plant World, it will damage everything it grows on,
Ivy clad cottages are very chocolate box, but there will be hidden damage to the exterior.
Even cutting it back at the main stem will not stop it from regrowing in time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back