Cat Deterrent

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Having trouble with cat poo, any ideas (diy or other) to deter them. (ps : I quite like [nice] cats, not their poo)

Sponsored Links
if you befriend a cat, or get your own, it will treat your garden as its home, and chase away others. Also it will keep its own territory clean, especially if you fork over a patch of ground to loosen the soil.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, was looking at some of these. As we are on a meter I wonder if they would function from a butt, the drop would perhaps be 15-20 feet.

ps : I like your end-piece, can I join your club !!

Thanks, was looking at some of these. As we are on a meter I wonder if they would function from a butt, the drop would perhaps be 15-20 feet.

ps : I like your end-piece, can I join your club !!

No, I doubt it. They require a decent pressure of mains water, especially if you want a good spread of water. I shouldn't worry too much about being on a water meter, though, as they claim only to use a couple of cupfuls of water for each spray. Also, you can reduce their sensitivity to avoid unnecessary activations.

The bad news is that you can only join the club if you were born in God's County.

Maybe I do qualify then, if the old "North Riding of Yorkshire" counts ??

What makes you think it is cat poop? I get loads of poop on my lawn, the sheer quantity per sitting suggests a larger animal, perhaps a badger which we do get. Or even a fox. The piles can consist of multiple turds, each at least 4" long and at least 0.5" wide.

I tried one of those ultrasonic scarers, it worked, but the rechargeable batteries last only a month, and you then have to unscrew the cover to recharge them. It is a pain, and I lost the screws. Plus the battery area shows corrosion so the seal is not water tight. I cannot recommend it. I was thinking about making a little rain cover like an awning which leaves the compartment open, but I suppose damp would get in and destroy it, so it needs a seal. I wonder if this works?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/1413...1=ICEP3.0.0-L&ff12=67&ff13=80&ff14=108&ff19=0

They say lemon and curry scent scares cats. I have lemon blam, lemon verbena, lemon thyme and curry plant, and I don't see cats in the garden anymore, but that might be chance and no more.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
I'm pretty sure it's cat poo. Have tried an ultra-sonic gadget against mice in a country garage, it was very un-impressive I'm afraid. Am thinking seriously about a water loaded job. Thanks for the info on plants, all grist to the mill.

Are you sure it is cat? Cats are good at burying poo. Foxes aren't but their poos are somewhat bigger than a cat's.

cats will bury in their own territory, but not bother in wasteland where no cat lives.

Maybe I do qualify then, if the old "North Riding of Yorkshire" counts ??

Of course. One day, I'd like to move there. Some very nice places.
I was born and brought up in Bradford, which is not a nice place! There's no way I'm moving back there!

What makes you think it is cat poop? I get loads of poop on my lawn, the sheer quantity per sitting suggests a larger animal, perhaps a badger which we do get. Or even a fox. The piles can consist of multiple turds, each at least 4" long and at least 0.5" wide.

I reckon you can make sure whether it's cat or fox poo by having a good poke around!

Yes, it is nice there, but Cumbria is nice too you know (and I just happen to have a cottage for sale there !)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back