Circuit drawing software

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I'm looking for recommendations for some software.

I have a control panel to build, and I'd like to do a drawing before I start. Also if there's any software which can test my circuit before I build it that would be great.

It'll be basic stuff like relays, contactors, indicators etc. No PLCs to worry about.

Sponsored Links
It really depends on what you would like it to do. I use SIMetrix a lot, but that is when I need verification or analysis of circuits with high component count and complex electronics. It is very good and uses the standard spice model libraries so most electronic/electrical components can be found and added to your library. Also you can run it in trial mode for free up to a set number of nodes, (I don't know how many off the top of my head).

For a quick check of simple interconnects and such, I find crocodile simulator to be more user friendly.

If you just want to test out some relay logic then crocodile clips while a bit amatuer-ish looking (designed for high school cdt and physics classes) should do what you want.

As for the drawings for the documentation, I'd suggest just knocking those up in whatever CAD package you are most familiar with

Sponsored Links
I'd love a nice cheap user friendly drawing package too.

There is some very expensive CAD electrical packages out there but they are horrible to get your head around and I'm not a fan of the drawings they produce....

I use Greenstreet draw, which is an old old drawing package But I find it very quick and easy to use and I've drawn hundreds of diagrams with it

I use LTspice for analog circuit design and simulating logic, so if it has a relay model (i'm not actually sure it does) that might work for you?

It's got a bit of a learning curve though.

For just drawing a schematic you might look into Eagle (http://www.cadsoftusa.com/), it's actually a PCB design package but will produce schematics on their own too. Not hard to use though does have a few little quirks.

Both free.

I use Multisim 7 Student edition which is also called Electronics Workbench. It was bought for me when at University and does work well.

But it would seem one needs to update to get latest components and it does from time to time fall over.

Ultiboard 7 compliments it to help draw out the printed circuit again yes it works but not the easiest to use.

To prove the operation of a flip flop or 555 timer it works well but it seems limited by my skill rather than the programs ability.

There were free demo versions which many down loaded while I was at Uni and people did find cracks to allow it's continued use after the trial time expired. However it seemed these were limited to use on only one PC so if they did a circuit and sent it to me I could not run it. But with the official version if I wrote a circuit and sent it to them they could read it.

It has some quirks like unless earthed you can't run the program. Multisim was to Electronics workbench like Photoshop is to Photoshop Elements. But I found the old Uni computers with Electronics Workbench were easier to use for the level I required.

Mine is a 2003 version I expect it has changed a bit since I got it.

It has some quirks like unless earthed you can't run the program.

This is normal with simulators, they need a reference to work from.
What am I missing here?

It's a simulator - what needs to be earthed?

If I'm understanding him correctly, he's complaining that you must have a ground (or earth..) point in the simulation and cannot have any floating sections of circuit, or the simulator will not run.

Would that not be equivalent to complaining that a real, physical system wasn't working properly because it was missing an earth connection?

Surely the point of a simulator is to simulate the behaviour of a real, physical system if it were built? You shouldn't need anything extra or different for a simulator to work.

Would that not be equivalent to complaining that a real, physical system wasn't working properly because it was missing an earth connection?

Not really, no. We're not talking about a CPC.

Surely the point of a simulator is to simulate the behaviour of a real, physical system if it were built? You shouldn't need anything extra or different for a simulator to work.

How does the simulator know where your reference voltage is? You have to tell it. The math doesn't work floating.

Not really, no. We're not talking about a CPC.
I know that.

How does the simulator know where your reference voltage is? You have to tell it. The math doesn't work floating.
You design a system.

You can build it, connect it to whatever wherever it needs in order to do what you want.

And you can describe it to a simulator including the descriptions of whatever wherever is connected to what as it would be IRL.

In what way can there be a problem of needing to provide information to a simulator about a physical condition which is not a physical condition required IRL?

This will function IRL with no reference to ground:

Transistor_Multivibrator.svg

Is Eric saying that the simulator he is talking about cannot simulate its behaviour?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back