Build Cavity Wall below DPC

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am about to have a go building my house extension, but have not have any building experience in building a wall before. I would appreciate for any responses to the following questions:

1. When building a cavity wall with engineering bricks below the DPC level, should both skins be constructed at the same time? I wonder, if it okay to build the inner skin first and concrete the floor slab. Then build the outer skin.

2. When building the inner skin of the cavity wall, below the DPC level, do you plumb the wall on the interior face or the exterior face (this is the face in the cavity)?

3. How long mortar joints normally take to dry, before they can stand up to rain water - after a heavy rain, we get quite a bit of water in the trench.

Many thanks!

Sponsored Links
1. When building a cavity wall with engineering bricks below the DPC level, should both skins be constructed at the same time? I wonder, if it okay to build the inner skin first and concrete the floor slab. Then build the outer skin.
That's fine as long as you appreciate that it is the outer skin that determines the buildings' overall size which means you will be working to a rigid cavity size. Also bear in mind that the wall will need to withstand, compression from both the concrete and the compaction of the in-fill material. This may mean having to wait a while until the mortar has hardened considerably. If there is a tall body of masonry I would advise you build both skins, fill the cavity and then do your in-fill etc.

2. When building the inner skin of the cavity wall, below the DPC level, do you plumb the wall on the interior face or the exterior face (this is the face in the cavity)?
Always on the face side and not the cavity side.

3. How long mortar joints normally take to dry, before they can stand up to rain water - after a heavy rain, we get quite a bit of water in the trench.
In the fairer months the mortar will stand a downpour after a few hours. In the winter it can take all day to get any kind of resistance. Just drop a board over the top of the masonry to shelter it from the rain. Standing water will not harm the mortar it will only help strengthen it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back