Replacing Electric Wall Heater Wire

Sorry, must not comprise ?
I'm not sure what you're sorry about, but if you are referring to the fact that the wording of those MIs is bizarre, then I would agree!

As far as the OP's situation is concerned, the heater's installation clearly 'did not comprise' "a multiple pole breaker device the contact opening gap of which is less than 3mm" - he has a single-pole 'breaker device' which undoubtedly has a contact separation of at least 3mm!

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
So, if i wire my bedside lamp(40w) using 2.5mm twin and earth what size of fuse would you fit in the plug and if higher than 3A why ?

As the cable is rated at 27A and the lamp draws 0.17A, then if on a lighting circuit or spurred from a socket circuit you don't really need a fuse at all.

So, if i wire my bedside lamp(40w) using 2.5mm twin and earth what size of fuse would you fit in the plug and if higher than 3A why ?
As has been said, as far as regs are concerned, that would depend only upon the CSA of the cable downstream of the fuse (i.e. between plug and lamp) - any fuse size less than the current-carrying-capacity of that cable would satisfy the regulations (unless, at least until next year, the manufacturer's instructions for the lamp called for a smaller fuse than would be required to protect the cable).

Kind Regards, John

Sorry. Sorry is a polite way of questioning someone older, wiser and well educated with out wishing to appear arrogant or rude, apologies if you are none of the above.

DS

Sponsored Links
Sorry. Sorry is a polite way of questioning someone older, wiser and well educated with out wishing to appear arrogant or rude, apologies if you are none of the above.
Yes, I rather suspected that. I'm quite possibly older than you (I'm older than a lot of people ;) ), but can't comment about "wiser and well educated"!

... but I still don't really understand what point you were trying to make. Your "sorry" seemed to indicate that you were suggesting that I had missed some relevance of the "must not comprise" statement to the OP's heater - but, as I responded, I don't think it is relevant, and it certainly doesn't say, or even imply, the need for an OPD of any particular size. ... unless I'm missing something

Kind Regards, John

As has been said, the OPD is there to protect the cable, regardless of the load.
Wiring doesn't become magically unable to fail just because it's a flexible cable or internal wiring in an appliance rather than fixed wiring in a building.

Ideally one would look to the manufacturers instructions for maximum ratings of the upstream protective device for their appliances but in the absense of such guidance "the next standard rating up from the operating current of the appliance." is the most reasonable assumption.

As has been said, the OPD is there to protect the cable, regardless of the load.
Wiring doesn't become magically unable to fail just because it's a flexible cable ... rather than fixed wiring in a building. ...
I haven't suggested otherwise. Unless one takes EFLI's view about loads that are unlikely create overloads (which I think is probably a more extreme view than many would take, even if reg-compliant), as I said, the flexible cable between plug (or FCU) and appliance should be adequately protected by the fuse in the plug (or FCU), unless the circuit's primary OPD already affords adequate protection to that flex.
...or internal wiring in an appliance rather than fixed wiring in a building.
That's a little different. If the manufacturer of the appliance does not provide adequate internal protection for the internal wiring then, as you go on to say, it's for them to dictate what external OPD is required to provide that protection. In an ideal world, all appliance would have adequate internal protection of the internal wiring, so that electricians would then only have to concern themselves with what was going on external to the appliances/loads.
Ideally one would look to the manufacturers instructions for maximum ratings of the upstream protective device for their appliances but in the absense of such guidance "the next standard rating up from the operating current of the appliance." is the most reasonable assumption.
As you probably know, I'm playing Devil's Advocate here. I am personally a great believer in using 'the smallest possible fuse for the load in question' (I'm probably one of the world's greatest users of 1A BS1362 fuses:) ), not the least because I do not necessarily trust what goes on inside appliances/equipment - but that is me, and is not required by regulations (unless, as above, specified by manufacturers to protect their inadequately-internally-protected internal wiring).

Kind Regards, John

Did we sort the cable issue??

If there is no cpc in the flex to the heater, what is the cpc in the flex from the switch connected to?? :eek:

Before you panic about the heater having no local fuse, is that sticker covering the fuse carrier, making an FCU look like a DP switch?

Often storage heaters had two supplies, one off-peak via a 15/6A device and one 24h via a switched FCU, either for a boost facility, or more often than not in my case, to feed a fan to assist air flow.

I think the green must look black in the photo.

I think its a 20a dual pole isolator.

It also appears the wires are trapped between the front plate and backbox.
I think the correct place for flex exit is out the bottom but off to the side

Did we sort the cable issue?? ... If there is no cpc in the flex to the heater, what is the cpc in the flex from the switch connected to?? :eek:
Quite so. I don't think we've sorted this. As I wrote:
I'm a bit confused here. The first picture is obviously the one to the switch, with brown, blue and black cores (which would be consistent with what the instructions say about the cable from the heater). However, the second picture shows blue/brown/yellow-green conductors - is that the cable coming from the heater (which seems inconsistent with the instructions), or are there, in fact, two joins in the cable between heater and switch?
Before you panic about the heater having no local fuse, is that sticker covering the fuse carrier, making an FCU look like a DP switch?
That's a definite possibility, which none of us has really considered. In fact, it might be probable, given that the switch rocker is so far 'off centre'. Were it just a switch, I would expect that rocker to be in the centre of the plate. However, as I've said, I don't think there would be any need for "panic" even if it weren't an FCU - if the flex is up to 16A (and, per EFLI's view, perhaps even if it isn't), then there is no electrical need for an FCU, and the MIs I've seen don't appear to call for one.
dmuk: Can you tell whether there is a fuse carrier hidden under that label on the switch?

Kind Regards, John

I think the green must look black in the photo.
That would obviously make some sense, but I find it fairly hard to believe that the one which looks black is actually G/Y. However, that would still raise some issues, since the MIs I've seen (albeit not for exactly the same model) seem to indicate that the heater cable should have a black 'control' conductor and no earth - are you therefore suggesting that the one which looks black is actually G/Y, but is being used as a live ('control') conductor in the lead extension?
dmuk: Can you please confirm the colours of those wires disappearing into the switch?
I think its a 20a dual pole isolator.
As I've just written, now the thought has been put in my mind, I'm coming to doubt that it is just a switch/isolator, given the seriously off-centre position of the rocker.
It also appears the wires are trapped between the front plate and backbox. I think the correct place for flex exit is out the bottom but off to the side
That appears to be the case.

Kind Regards, John

Clearly john your not familiar with those mk accessories.

The switch is in that position regardless of whether there is a fuse or not.

It would be a dumb person to fit a label over a fuse but possible.

Clearly john your not familiar with those mk accessories. The switch is in that position regardless of whether there is a fuse or not.
You're right. I am familiar with such MK switches, but wasn't thnking of them :oops: - I was thinking of virtually every other make, for which the rocker is central!
It would be a dumb person to fit a label over a fuse but possible.
Indeed.

Kind Regards, John

Not certain the best state of play here.

There doesn't appear to be anything under the label.

The wire colours vary:
Brown, blue, yellow
Brown, blue, black

However these may not well be from the panel heater as there seems to be mixed cabling due to the extension work.

Feels like best to leave it how it is?

There doesn't appear to be anything under the label.
OK, so it's a switch, not an FCU - which is what all of us were assuming until someone raised doubts. I wouldn't worry about that for the time being.
The wire colours vary: Brown, blue, yellow; Brown, blue, black ... However these may not well be from the panel heater as there seems to be mixed cabling due to the extension work.
Feels like best to leave it how it is?
I'm still a bit confused by these wire colours. However, if it were me, at least until I'd got things worked out properly, I'd be inclined to "leave it how it is", electrically, but not physically. With all the power off (in view of that label!), I'd get all that tape off the connector block, make a very careful note of which colour is connected to which in that block, and then replace the connector block with a proper in-line cable connector such as was pointed out to you fairly early in this discussion, being careful to duplicate the colour-color connections that were present with the connector block.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back