LED lighting query

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've just had some led spotlights installed in a kitchen ceiling......so far as I know, they are direct replacements for a GU10 fitting so no transformers. The lights are dual switched.
For reasons unknown to me, they continue to gently glow when switched off.....so far I don't know for how long, but its at least an hour after they are switched off - maybe longer as its the first time I have tried them in the dark.
Can anyone tell me if this is in order? I'm a little perplexed.
Thanks and good evening
John :)

Sponsored Links
It is due to induced voltages being enough to light up the LEDs.

Does the glowing stop if you put a regular halogen lamp in one of the fittings?

Excuse the late reply Mr. T -- internet hiccup yesterday!
I haven't fiddled with anything yet, but the lamps were glowing all night.
One thing I did notice was if one of the two way switches is used the lamps glow, but if I switch off with the other one they dont!
Does that make any sense to you?
Many thanks for your reply - much appreciated!

Sponsored Links
I'll try what you say - thanks.
I don't want to use the halogen bulbs really due to the heat generated so is there anything I can do to prevent the glowing, or do I just live with it?

I'll try what you say - thanks. I don't want to use the halogen bulbs really due to the heat generated so is there anything I can do to prevent the glowing, or do I just live with it?
There probably are things you could do to prevent the glowing, but first do the experiment which TTC suggested (just as an experiment, not as a permanent arrangement), so as to confirm the cause of the problem.

Kind Regards, John

Cheers John I'll give that a try in due course.
I would say that on one bulb there's only two leds glowing but on the other one ( only two bulbs on that circuit) all 7 are glowing.

Cheers John I'll give that a try in due course. I would say that on one bulb there's only two leds glowing but on the other one ( only two bulbs on that circuit) all 7 are glowing. :)
There's a fair element of pot luck involved in which LEDs glow and which don't - so what you says doesn't surprise me. We look forward to hearing the result of the experiment in due course.

Kind Regards, John

Update......as expected, replacing the LED bulb with a halogen one solved the problem, so I guess there's induced current somewhere.
The ceiling is now Kingspanned and timber clad now, so no disturbance is wanted there.
Is the LED issue due to too many cables in the vicinity of the light fitting, then?

I was looking at this problem myself and realised the grey is separated from the brown and black by the earth wire in standard twin and earth. So with two way lighting there is less likely hood of transfer in the grey is permanent line and the brown and black are switched line.

Clearly it will not be possible to arrange this if any intermediate switched are used.

Unfortunately I have intermediate switches so have been unable to test the theroy. I would be interested to know if the theroy works.

I was looking at this problem myself and realised the grey is separated from the brown and black by the earth wire in standard twin and earth. So with two way lighting there is less likely hood of transfer in the grey is permanent line and the brown and black are switched line.
That's true - but, with the 'modern' way of doing 2-way switching, it will only be true in one of the two possible 'off configurations' of the switches. With the other 'off configuration' the brown or black (as well as grey) will be 'permanently line', hence there would be a 'permanent line' adjacent to the conductor feeding the lamp (with no intervening CPC/earth conductor).

This may well, of course, explain the OP's observation that he only got the LED glow (when switched off) if they were switched off with one of the switches, but not when switched off by the other switch.

Kind Regards, John

The capacity between Live and Switched Live determines how much current flows when the light is OFF

Which ever way the switches are set to OFF ( both to L1 or both to L2 ) the Live and Switched Live run side by side in the two strappers so that capacity is the same for both OFF states

This capacity has to be added to the capacity between the returning Switched Live ( below the Earth in the diagram ) and the two strappers

The difference in capacity between the two OFF states depends on whether the strapper closest to the returning Switched Live is connected to the Live or the Switched Live.

When switch A is on L2 the live strapper is closer to the returning Switched Live than the other strapper which is live when switch A is on L1

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back