Small extension lead with built-in switch?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to make a small extension lead but would like to have a switch without having to pull the plug out on the socket side, are they available?

1-way_extension.jpg

Sponsored Links
13 amp plugs with integral switches are available, as are 4 way extensions with switches, but if you want a single socket extension why not use a switched socket on a surface box with 20mm knockouts, use a stuffing gland to grip the flex

Where exactly do you want the switch?

If you want it at the plug end then you can get switched plugs. e.g.

http://cpc.farnell.com/pro-elec/2138/plugtop-switched/dp/PL1003707?Ntt=PL1003707

If you want the switch in-line then you can get in-line switches the highest current rating i've seen is 6A. Whether that is a problem depends on what you plan to use the lead for.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Skytronic-429-376UK-Inline-Switch-White/dp/B000NVRCHK

If you want the swith at the socket end then things are a bit tricker, you could go crystal ball's approach of using a socket intended for permanent installtion with a gland but that leaves you with a rather bulky and potentially fragile (depending on exactly what sort of surface mount socket you use) end.

If you are always using it with the same appliance you could take the plug off the appliance and either use an inline switch or a switched plug.

Sponsored Links
If you want the swith at the socket end then things are a bit tricker, you could go crystal ball's approach of using a socket intended for permanent installtion with a gland but that leaves you with a rather bulky and potentially fragile (depending on exactly what sort of surface mount socket you use) end.
If one looks pretty hard, there are a few 2-gang switched trailing sockets out there (well,at least in Hong Kong - goodness knows if one could find one), but I've yet to see any single gang ones with switches:
ExtensionSoc_GE122.jpg

Kind Regards, John

What about a remote controlled socket, or strip?

Or - I've never seen an inline 13A+ rated switch (apart from some alleged ones on Amazon which could well kill you), but I have seen lots of inline RCDs, so if you don't mind a bulky solution....

Does the socket on the wall not have a switch?
Yes but switching this off will turned off the TV.

What I have got is a raspberry pi and link up to the television and when the electricians switch the mains off or power cut then the electric is on again the television switched on but the raspberry pi will need to be reboot while the television is still on. The television is on a timer

Yes but switching this off will turned off the TV. ... What I have got is a raspberry pi and link up to the television and when the electricians switch the mains off or power cut then the electric is on again the television switched on but the raspberry pi will need to be reboot while the television is still on. The television is on a timer
I don't really understand that. Can you possibly explain in more detail? What is plugged into what, and where is the TV timer (and why does the TV have a timer?). What do you want the extension for - the raspberry pi?

Kind REgards, John

Yes but switching this off will turned off the TV. ... What I have got is a raspberry pi and link up to the television and when the electricians switch the mains off or power cut then the electric is on again the television switched on but the raspberry pi will need to be reboot while the television is still on. The television is on a timer
I don't really understand that. Can you possibly explain in more detail? What is plugged into what, and where is the TV timer (and why does the TV have a timer?). What do you want the extension for - the raspberry pi?

Kind REgards, John
Sorry this was confusing, will take some photo's tomorrow

Sorry this was confusing, will take some photo's tomorrow
Many thanks - I look forward to seeing them (although probably not until Thursday - I will probably not be around tomorrow!).

Kind Regards, John

Ooh, look what I found….

Masterplug do an extension leand that finishes in a three way block socket. Each of the outputs is individually switched.

CLICK ME

A beter picture HERE (Click the 3-way one)

Normally I don't like those three way socket adapter thingies when plugged into the wall, but this may suit the OP's situation??

Ooh, look what I found…. Masterplug do an extension leand that finishes in a three way block socket. Each of the outputs is individually switched. ... Normally I don't like those three way socket adapter thingies when plugged into the wall, but this may suit the OP's situation??
Well found! As you say, it might well satisfy the OP's requirement. I searched for 1-gang and 2-gang individually switched trailing sockets/extension leads but, because I was not thinking of 'block sockets' did not bother with 3-gang or above!

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back