Technical Preview (Win10)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The jump from Windows 8.1 to 10 - Early days, but I have installed the trial in VmPlayer - Not as good as Win8.1 using 3rd party software to ADD a win7 style start button, thus far.

Screen dump is ... A small dump. :(

-0-

Sponsored Links
I plan to install it on Wednesday, how long does it give you?

And in what way is it not as good as 8.1

Some chat...
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_tp?auth=1

Let me restate.
...Not as good as my Win8.1 in which I use 3rd party software to ADD a win7 style start button..."I use Classic Shell™ Which is a collection of usability enhancements for Windows. It has a customizable Start menu and Start button, it adds a toolbar for Windows Explorer and supports a variety of smaller features." http://www.classicshell.net/

I think January 15th 2015 is the time limit.

I was expecting something closer to the Classic Shell experience - it is closer but not I fear, at this point, going to inspire too many peeps with an aversion to Win8.
----------------------------------------------------------------
Much more info than I could produce here :-
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/forums/54-Windows-10?s=f11c0b259812c7d444533dc29e83ab55
A good set of links -
http://forums.mydigitallife.info/th...44f00acb4efcec&p=953969&viewfull=1#post953969
I did the 4.1 GB download, SHA-1 hash value matched file downloaded, I wasn't asked for Product Key during set up.
There is a workaround re: the 'setup / enter M$ account details' gambit.

If anyone would like to see the settings used in VMPlayer which worked ok - just ask.

-0-

Sponsored Links
Windows 8(hate) converted me to become a mac user it was that sh't. Ive been a windows fan since Window3 3.1 and NT3.51 so (im quite old).

Switching to a Mac (OSx) was a revelation, like switching from black n decker to Festool. What a difference. No more memory issues or crashing or massive security floors. Everything just works.

Sorry to highjack im quite passionate about how badly wrong they got windows8 i hope 10 steers back.

All versions of Windows are still light years behind the design, stability and usability of a Mac.

In the workplace, though, Microsoft still have the majority by quite some margin thanks to their enterprise approach and office software.

Therein lies the dilemma ... Lovely usable Mac's at home and less usable but functionally rich Windows in the office.

And, I don't see this model changing anytime soon, unfortunately.

MW

Windows 8(hate) converted me to become a mac user it was that sh't. Ive been a windows fan since Window3 3.1 and NT3.51 so (im quite old).

Switching to a Mac (OSx) was a revelation, like switching from black n decker to Festool. What a difference. No more memory issues or crashing or massive security floors. Everything just works.

Sorry to highjack im quite passionate about how badly wrong they got windows8 i hope 10 steers back.

I do wish you guys would explain objectively just what you really don't like about Win8 ?

All versions of Windows are still light years behind the design, stability and usability of a Mac.

In the workplace, though, Microsoft still have the majority by quite some margin thanks to their enterprise approach and office software.

Therein lies the dilemma ... Lovely usable Mac's at home and less usable but functionally rich Windows in the office.

And, I don't see this model changing anytime soon, unfortunately.

MW

Spot on the button MW.

What do you do with your computer that requires anything more than windows 7?

(or even XP).
Aye that's what I wanna know.

I have XP at home and 7 at work what am I unable to do? Though i would accept that as XP is getting pretty ancient no new software will support it.

I do wish you guys would explain objectively just what you really don't like about Win8 ?

Ok my brief experience of Win8 was such, everything had been moved, things functioned differently, everything forever wanting you to use a cloud an online profile or fking facebook or some social interactive element.
While it may be great for a narcissistic attention whore i am not.

I wanted to browse my phone using explorer but thumbnails no longer work, apparently they just don't work like that in Win8 anymore.
This was all before the sp1 fix to a start button etc, but then i could go on, it felt a desperate attempt to stop people migrating to Os/x or Android. Why not stick with what works and evolve? I embraced every other move from XP to 'Fista' to Windows 7 but 8 is a POS.

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
What do you do with your computer that requires anything more than windows 7?
The problem is that past a certain point driver support and security update support stop. Security update support has a well defined cut-off from MS (with some very expensive extension options available if you are really desperate), driver support is in the hands of the device manufacturs so is less well-defined but typically ends at arround the same time as public availability of security updates.

For the moment running 7 is still very viable but that will change :(

• Thanks
Reactions: JBR
The impression I get is that Microsoft create new versions of Windows with a view to incentivising people to spend more money: buying new computers, paying for extra support, updating other software, etc.

Granted, there are 'improvements', but at the same time some versions (Vista, W8) seem to have more drawbacks than improvements.

Why, for example, do new versions of Windows invariably require third party software to be updated (at cost)? Why is support terminated for earlier versions? Does Apple do these things?

When the time comes for my to replace this computer, and if the version of Windows currently available is not to my liking, I shall have to consider going for a Mac (although they are ridiculously expensive) or installing Linux or similar (free!, but requiring some technical knowledge).

Ok my brief experience of Win8 was such, everything had been moved, things functioned differently, everything forever wanting you to use a cloud an online profile or fking facebook or some social interactive element.
While it may be great for a narcissistic attention whore i am not.

I wanted to browse my phone using explorer but thumbnails no longer work, apparently they just don't work like that in Win8 anymore.
This was all before the sp1 fix to a start button etc, but then i could go on, it felt a desperate attempt to stop people migrating to Os/x or Android. Why not stick with what works and evolve? I embraced every other move from XP to 'Fista' to Windows 7 but 8 is a POS.
Not using 'cloud' but it is available.
Not everything changed - Thumbnails ? As in Win7 go 'Control Panel' 'Folder Options' 'View' - 1st checkbox item 'Always show Icons, never thumbnails'. Uncheck the box - go to the images choose your thumbnail size from the File Explorer ribbon.
I can open our samsung phone's folders and view the images as thumbnails.

So actually they do work... See what I mean - POS it is not.

I am not plagued with requests for 'signing in' be it social networking stuff or 'app' stores - no requests to use 'cloud' storage - but all remain options - I'll be having a bash at the 'cloud' as a backup medium when we get 'fibre' web access.

I can only imagine that when I actually did the update from Win7 to Win8 the M$ iso file was pretty much pristine clean - no bloatware.

If this OS was not designed in any way for desktop use, then I salute MS because I am having a very good experience with my kit.
People who don't have a decent experience probably don't get into it enough.
At the end of the day we all have choices and hopefully interesting experiences to enjoy or not...

-0-

Therein lies the dilemma ... Lovely EXPENSIVE Mac's at home and less usable but functionally rich Windows in the office.

Corrected that for you.
Although expensive, Mac's are made and assembled by cheap labour in the far East. Parts therefore should cost about the same as generic PC parts (until you pay the premium Apple Corp put on them) ;) ;) ;)

Anyway,, someone show me something you can do on a Mac, that you cannot do on a generic PC running Windows. ;) ;)

Sponsored Links
Back