help! can i cover this fire? pic attached

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys I'm moving into a new house in next few weeks and thete are 2 of these fires ... I'm told they aren't connected to boiler etc ... my question is can i cover them? And what's the best way ... i have no intention of using them ever! [/img]

Sponsored Links
Thanks sooey but I'm not allowed as its a rented property ... i was thinking i could msybe build some sort of box similar to a radiator cover but i don't know if that's allowed with it being gas etc and fumes although it will never be turned on :-/

The only way you would be allowed to do that would be to have them capped off first, then you could do what you like with them. Obviously they would have to be reinstated and tested when you leave.

Sponsored Links
Actually , thinking about it a little more, there's nothiung to stop you putting a removable cover over them, as long as you are certain that no one will use them while covered.
Capping them off yourself would cause problems at LLSC time anyway.
It would have to be easily removable though.

Yeah ... that's why i was thinking something along the lines of a radiator cover so just sits around it and looks less hideous :)

The only way you would be allowed to do that would be to have them capped off first, then you could do what you like with them. Obviously they would have to be reinstated and tested when you leave.

Think about it logically Cover ion away that tap cannot be accessed. No problem until gasman calls for LL inspection. What will he do? Either remove cover and does" service". Then the tenant replaces cover. Or he goes onto overdrive and declares it ID and caps off............

TBH if I was living there and hated the fires, I would use a rad cover to conceal

Are standard rad covers likely to be deep enough or do you think I'm going to have to try make my own ?? The only diy I've managed competently is putting up a shelf and laying laminate

thanks guys

bex

Are standard rad covers likely to be deep enough or do you think I'm going to have to try make my own ?? The only diy I've managed competently is putting up a shelf and laying laminate

thanks guys

bex

Standard one re probably not deep enough. We use to sell made to measure (excellent quality, much better than sheds) from these:
http://www.yell.com/biz/klk-wood-design-spalding-1970552/

They don't have a website AFAIK, and may not sell direct, but phone to ask about local supplier (or if they will deal direct)

Check before buying anything too expensive as those fires ( R-W ? ) are not that deep and its just possible there may be some rad cover deep enough.

Tony

So my radiator cover is 8" deep and just got them to check depth on the fire 6" happy days :)

Thanks so much guys

So my radiator cover is 8" deep and just got them to check depth on the fire 6" happy days :)

Thanks so much guys

You sure, Becks?

The photo is not clear enough (on my LT) to identify the model, but a Rob Willey is just under 8" and a Baxi firefront just over 8". IIRC a Thorn/Radiant fire is slimmer, but I don;t think yours is.

Remember the important dimension on the RC is the INTERNAL depth. But you may be correct,in which case you will save $$$$$$

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back