Radiator pipes into a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I am renovating a house and i would like to hide one set of radiator pipes inside the wall. The radiator is at ground floor therefore pipes are coming down from the ceilling.

I want to use speedfit layflat 10mm pipes so as to keep the depth of wall chiseling to a minimum.

Can anyone guide me through this process? I know how to do this if the pipes are not inside the wall but i am unsure what to do when they have to be burried.

Its a brick wall with cement on top and a very thin layer of plaster.

I have already chased the wall but still needs some depth to it. However in order to decide how much more depth i need i have to know exactly what is going into the wall.

Thank you everyone

Sponsored Links
No special skills required.
Just create a chase in the brickwork capable of containing your pipework and clips. It's easiest to bring the pipes out behind the radiator about a foot above the floor in the centre of the radiator and use stem elbows on the valves.
Jeff

Thanks for the advise, i have already chased the wall behind the radiator (centre) but I probably need a bit more depth.

Do you think i have to use a pipe conduit so as to protect the pipe (provide room) when expanding?

How exactly do you use the stem elbows?

No need for conduit if your using plastic pipes but it's a good idea to run a strip of foil tape or similar where the pipes are so that anyone in the future can trace the pipe work with a pipe tracer/stud finder.

Sponsored Links
Great advise everyone, i am taking everything in concederation.... thank you

I am concerned about one thing, do you think i should avoid using any fittings (joints) within the wall?

do you think i could be able to bend the pipe at a 90 degree angle without any joints....i am using the speedfit layflat polybutylene???????

What do you think is the best option to connect speedfit pipes to radiator valves?

1) use stem elbows (i dont really know how this are used)
2) or just insert a copper olive on the speedfit pipe with a compression fitting and connect it directly to the radiator valve?

we have the speedfit pipe coming out of the wall (behind centre of radiator) and needs to be connected to the radiator valve.

so is this the corrected order?

speedfit pipe => stem elbow => radiator valve

Yes, that is correct, for a better look.

Stem elbow is the same as street elbow. The pipe goes into female socket of elbow, the male stem of elbow goes into radiator valve with nut and olive.

Daniel.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back