Electric heater wiring.

Hi, use your multimeter on continuity and meter between your blue wire and the N terminal on your plug.
Surely you would get a reading through the element from the switch live wire in addition to the neutral
That obviously depends upon what you understand by this wretched word 'continuity', which has come to often be misused (at least, per up upbringing) in the world of electricians.

A meter should indicate a 'negligible resistance' (and maybe 'beep') from a neutral wire to the plug neutral, but a substantially greater resistance (via element) between S/L wire and plug neutral.

Kind Regards, John

Sponsored Links
I have edited my post to remove the confusion.

Thank you, John. I knew what I meant as well. :)

Not to worry, it's a Dorset thing I believe ;)

Thanks to all(most)for your informative advice and scaring me into leaving well alone.

Much appreciated.

I personally think Deadshort meant plain old continuity rather than measuring resistance, no disrespect to Terry :) but measuring resistance may need a bit more explaining, he has confirmed he has a multimeter and im sure if he knew how to measure resistance he would have sorted the issue by now.

Sponsored Links
I personally think Deadshort meant plain old continuity rather than measuring resistance, no disrespect to Terry :) but measuring resistance may need a bit more explaining, he has confirmed he has a multimeter and im sure if he knew how to measure resistance he would have sorted the issue by now.

Hey, I know how to measure resistance, I have the destructions I just don't know what it is :)

Then if you think the heaters worth it, order the SAME 3 terminal switch and we can quide you through it.
Though im sure you will find the layout of the pins will prove the same, and the off centre middle pin will also help you with orientation of the switch.

However do you know if the heater worked previously

I personally think Deadshort meant plain old continuity rather than measuring resistance
That was essentially my point - that when electricians talk about 'continuity' these days, they usually are not usually referring to "plain old continuity" - but, rather, are looking for a resistance measurement to write down on their form :) The 'beep' of many a multimeter obviously is essentially 'old fashioned continuity', and I think the threshold of most meters is such that it would not beep if there were a heater element in the circuit.
... but measuring resistance may need a bit more explaining, he has confirmed he has a multimeter and im sure if he knew how to measure resistance he would have sorted the issue by now.
That's probably true.

Kind Regards, John

Then if you think the heaters worth it, order the SAME 3 terminal switch and we can quide you through it.
Though im sure you will find the layout of the pins will prove the same, and the off centre middle pin will also help you with orientation of the switch.

However do you know if the heater worked previously

Thank you, I'd like to keep it as it worked fine. I don't agree with being a throwaway society(read:I'm too tight with money ;) )

I will let you know when I get the new switch.

Cheers for all being so patuent(except one) :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back