Fixing shelving in alcove to brick walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I've got shelving I want to put up in the alcoves either side of my fireplace. We've gone for a rustic look, so I've got some reclaimed 12x2 timber cut to size for the shelves.

They're obviously pretty hefty, and will be used for books as well, so want solid fixings.

My thought was to get lengths of 2x1 and attach to the left and right walls of either alcove with something like an M10 bolt (with the head recessed into the wood?), then the shelves would sit on those - does that sound sensible/reasonable??

If not, what have I missed? The walls are brick either side so should hold shouldn't it?

Thanks in advance for any help or advice!

Sponsored Links
Sorry, I did mean into plugs, forgot to write that bit!

So an 8mm masonery bit, 8mm plugs and 5mmx50mm screws (or bolts?) should do the job?

Only reason I mention bolts at all is because I used them to fix my television to the wall using a mount, and they seem pretty solid?

Personally I'd go for screws and plastic plugs.....Rawlbolts are overkill for situations like this, I feel.
If you get a secure fix into the brickwork, all will be well.
John :)

Sponsored Links
You can use timber or even ali angle [rebated if you don't want to see it.]

Gives the impression of floating shelf.
See below, ali angle fixed to wall at rear and at sides [but short of front edge on sides] then shelf is rebated with a slot to accept the aluminium angle.
Once in position a single screw from above or below will secure shelf to bracket.

. View media item 84080

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back