Best practice for fitting aquapanel for new shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
what is the best practice with new shower enclosure:
Bed tray, tilebacker down onto tray,seal gap then tile down to tray and seal gap again. Or,
Fit tilebacker, butt tray up to tilebacker board, seal then tile down to tray and seal between tile and tray?

Just wondering as I know aquapanel is water resistant and not waterproof. If this is the case would any water ingress through faulty grout run down the face of the backerboard or more likely through the whole width of the board and out the bottom?

Cheers

Sponsored Links
Board out the entire enclosure with Aquapanel, then fit the tray sealing at the edges. Take great care to get the corners at 90deg!
Tile down to the level tray, and seal the joint with quality silicone (mapei, Dow Corning etc)
Aquapanel is neither resistant to water or waterproof.....it does however not destruct when wet - unlike plasterboard.
John :)

Many thanks Burnerman, will do as you suggest. I have used mapei corner jointing tape before so will do this too.

Sponsored Links
Wickes is my local aquapanel supplier, and they used to do the jointing adhesive too.......however the last time I bought some, the adhesive was no longer stocked. It's made by Knauf if you need some, and it's brilliant for butt jointing the sheets together.
John :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back