Aga Mark 1 Burner

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an AGA with an original Mark 1 Burner, which I have serviced every year and it works fine.
The Burner is fitted with a Teddington TDH on/off valve with an integral regulator and lately the on/off valve has become very stiff and difficult to turn on and off.
Both the Mark 1 burner assembly and the Teddington TDH are now long obsolete and spare parts cannot be found.
So, I am trying to find out if the Teddington valve is serviceable at all and if anyone can advise how to cure the stiffness of the on/off valve.
This is the complete valve:
IMG_20141015_142238755_zps89344efe.jpg

and this shows the central spindle that has become difficult to turn:
IMG_20141015_142329348_zpsc558a326.jpg

Any help/advice would be appreciated, which I will pass on to the Gas Safe Service Man

Sponsored Links
Any gas safe engineer should, trained and know how to repair, overhaul.

Ask your gas man about it, if he does not know, get another one.

Daniel.

So, are you saying that particular item is serviceable?

The reason I asked the question is that if that Teddington TDH is not serviceable, then I will have to have the complete burner unit replaced at a cost of approx. £750 + delivery + fitting, so probably about £1,000.

The Teddington gas valves for the AGA are available for about £150.00 inc VAT - it will need a RGI to set up and calibrate in situ with system running.

The by-pass screw of the original control must always be retained with the appliance as they vary. Your RGI will know what to do.

Sponsored Links

I think that what he is trying to tell you is that you should not be doing gas work yourself.

If only you read the forum rules before posting then you would see that we are not allowed to give DIY gas advice here.

Tony

I think that what he is trying to tell you is that you should not be doing gas work yourself.

If only you read the forum rules before posting then you would see that we are not allowed to give DIY gas advice here.

Tony

You obviously didn't read my posts properly - I have no intention of attempting any gas work myself.
I am trying to find out as much information as I can about that particular Teddington valve before I contact the Gas Safe engineer who regularly services my Aga.

I have an AGA with an original Mark 1 Burner, which I have serviced every year and it works fine.

So, I am trying to find out if the Teddington valve is serviceable at all and if anyone can advise how to cure the stiffness of the on/off valve.

That seems very clear to me that you have said that YOU have serviced it and YOU are asking how to cure the stiffness.

If you really had an engineer then would you not expect him to find out how to do his own job?

I went to my dentist today but had no intention of telling him how to do his job! He has studied for several years and is doing an MSc on implants.

Tony

That seems very clear to me that you have said that YOU have serviced it and YOU are asking how to cure the stiffness.

If you really had an engineer then would you not expect him to find out how to do his own job?

I went to my dentist today but had no intention of telling him how to do his job! He has studied for several years and is doing an MSc on implants.

Tony

What a strange person you are.

If you read my first post I said I have my Aga serviced every year, I didn't say that I serviced it.
I use a local Gas Safe engineer who has not been specifically trained on Aga's so I'm simply trying to find out if that particular part is serviceable or not.
Anyway, another more helpful poster has said the Teddington TDH is still available, so I will pursue that avenue.

Are you in pain from your visit to the dentist or something?

"""I have an AGA with an original Mark 1 Burner, which I have serviced every year and it works fine."""

Well those are your own words.

Better to get your engineer to ask about these things here in the special closed forum for engineers.

Thank you for your concern, but my dentist only took some X-rays today. In any case he is very careful to do his work in as painless a way as possible. But then he is fairly expensive.

Tony

Come off it, let's say the Op does service the AGA themselves. That being the assumed fact they would not state "I have the AGA serviced".

Someone who services their own car doesn't say "I have my car serviced" or someone who cleans their own windows "I have my windows cleaned" or someone who walks their own dog "I have my dog walked".

I service the AGA, I service my car, I clean the windows, I walk my dog. Use of 'have' is saying the exact opposite to doing it themselves.

Nozzle

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back