Changing a bulb in a sealed bathroom downlight

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm trying to change the bulb in a sealed bathroom downlight - see //www.diynot.com/network/dixmy/albums/22444

The bezel rotates with much difficulty and grating. However I still cannot get inside the unit. I've turned it both clockwise and anti-clockwise. It appears to be limited in how far it will turn - perhaps a quarter turn.

Based on what I've read on the net, I suspect the bezel needs turning anti-clockwise at which point it should just pop off. I've also tried gently pulling but it doesn't want to come apart.

Can anyone tell me what I need to do to just change the bulb. Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
In the early years I came across some which used bulbs like this
osram-xenophot-12v-100w-vertical-filament-gy635-200x200.jpg
which went in from the back.
The MR16 12 volt with GU5.3 connection like this
M281BEL.jpg

is not held in by pins but the GU10 230 volt
GU103535.jpg
is often held by just the bayonet fitting and there are suckers to help replacement. From pictures it could be MR11 which could be GU5.3 or GU10 fitting so question is it 230 volt or 12 volt as in the main 12 volt use G5.3 and 230 volt use GU10 although done not always hold true.

Sponsored Links
It looks like a 230V GU10 lamp,

But yuou still need to separate the front bezel from the lamp housing to get at the lamp.

Its usually a small turn, ir a prise with a screwdriver. Usually you should not need to remove the whole fitting from the ceiling.

PS That's horrible wiring. The whole of the cables should be INSIDE the termination box. The brown and blue wires should not be seen. If the lamp's box is too small, then a larger terminal box should be used.
And there is no strain relief on the cables.

Thanks ericmark and Taylortwocities for your help. All sorted now. In the end it was an easy job. I simply grabbed both sides of the bezel between thumb and forefingers and pulled down on one side. The bezel then easily came away from the light casing. No turning was needed.

As for the state of the wiring, I'm renting this house and plan to move soon so would like to leave it well alone. In its current state, given it is in the loft, is there any danger that the landlord should be informed about?

Its probably not dangerous per se if left undisturbed, but it doesn't conform to Wiring regulations for the reasons I outlined.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back