Re-roof. Old or new tiles?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. I need my 1930's semi with hip end re-roofing. One roofer has said it's ok to re-use the clay tiles and another says it's best to replace completely and use new concrete tiles. He said after selling the old tiles there's not much difference in cost. ( I haven't had the quote yet.) Who's right?

Sponsored Links
Would you really want 80 year old tiles putting back?

I certainly wouldn't and I wouldn't do the work though others would.

I take it they are Rosemary tiles?

You could reuse the good ones and replace all substandard but it's a pain to do, imho.

Sponsored Links
Heres my personal experience

I built a huge two floor extension on the back of my house and i re used the original rosemarys from the main roof, that at the time were about 80 years old, obviously i graded them and had to replace some due to loses. 15 years on i replaced the whole of the front roof of my house during a further extension (this is now 12 years ago) I thought id replace all the tiles with brand new ones to be in keeping with the new development and how wrong i was.

By the time my new rosemarys were 6 years old they were a mess although still watertight and due to various reasons ive had to leave replacement till now. Having just got down after a complete inspection i can say this....

Never again will i use brand new tiles on my roof, the old ones ive reused on the back are 99% in the same condition as i relaid them all those years ago, with the exception of a couple of damaged ones here and there. The whole of the front of the house where i replaced with new is going to have to be replaced due to the incredible damage these tiles have on them, its frost damage on the upper surface, and a reasonable guess id estimate that less than 10% could be reused.

Im rather disgusted that what was the new roof is in such a mess and yet the now over 100 year old tiles on the back are in great shape. Im now about to reroof the whole front of the house once more and this time im going to find a large amount of good "old" rosemarys and grade them myself before fitting........and i bet that roof is still on in the next century

New often doesnt mean better!!!

The Victorians knew what they were doing ! I nearly bought a load of rosemary's straight off the demo site of a massive asylum for my last house - took a few samples home and they were too red :cry: Looked fine 60 feet up and had lasted 100 years . Got some dark tiles from a salvage yard - cost a lot more though.

These were rosemary reds brand new from redland (red 80) at the time, and right now i need to find an asylum to get a pile of old ones from before I go mad!

If i think on, i will take a pic of them as they are now and add an old one as i was fitting them at the time, then youll see just how bad these things are now

Well the tiles went off somewhere by the lorryload , I can't imagine they went local in Sussex - there's not enough salvage yards to take them all .there were literally millions of them . Work was done by Cuddy Group . Might be worth a call to them and see if a yard near you took delivery :idea:

@halfpennethsworth

I would be interested in pictures of the deteriorated new tiles too!

If they only lasted 6 years, would they not be under warentee? Did you not contact Redland?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back