removing metal posts

Reaction score
Country
United States
the posts are v shape metal posts that are speared near the bottom and approximately 5 feet long-any ideas on how to remove them? There are 15 of them.
Wow! what a great idea! I wonder why I didn't think of that. NOT. I failed to mention that it is believed (judging by one that was not installed) that is is "sunk" in the ground (very hard red clay ground) approximately 2 ft. Some very determined person who apparently found a great deal on the "posts" or whatever you call them and put cheap fencing with them--that was the easy part to take down. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Here's what I did to remove some 4X4 wooden fence posts that were stuck in the ground from an old old fence along the perimeter of my parking lot:

1. I coiled a chain around the fence post (about 5 or 6 turns) and connected both ends of the chain together so that when I pulled upward on the slack where the ends were connected, the chain tightened up around the post.

2. I hooked the slack onto the top of a 2X4 and leaned that 2X4 against the post I was wanting to pull out.

3. Then I lifted the bottom of that 2X4 with a scizzor type car jack.

This would work better if you could get one of those old jacks that was meant to lift a car by it's bumper and hook the chain on that.

Alternatively, could you grab tightly onto the V shaped steel posts with a pair of Vice Grip pliers and use a piece of 2X4 as a fulcrum to pry the posts out by using a long pry bar to pry upward on the jaws of the Vice Grips?

Sponsored Links
I think I'll put up birdhouses instead....the posts are never coming out.

Harbor Freight makes a puller for the metal posts. It is an incredible back saver. Lists for $35 US, I think I got it for about half on sale. I wish I had bought mine a lot of years earlier, these things can be terrible to get out after the grass and roots grow up around them. The owners manual has enough info you could cobble one up possibly. that can be found at:
http://www.harborfreight.com/manuals/38000-38999/38444.PDF

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=38444

Don't complain, in France they put cement around the post...
In France they simply cut them because to remove them is very very tough.

two options, dig down to expose the top of the concrete and cut them off there and then back fill, or dig around the concrete and use a sledge hammer to loosen them then use the posts own leverage to get them out. Thats all i do when removing fence posts

drill a hole into the concrete and then hammer a chisel into the drilled hole
this should split the concrete

drill a hole into the concrete and then hammer a chisel into the drilled hole
this should split the concrete

Having struggled for ages trying to lever out the first of eight old wooden post & spikes firmly set in earth, not concreted, I simply poured some WATER down the sides of each spike (I'd already wiggled them around to create a bit of room). This provided sufficient lubrication to help each one slide out fairly easily with sufficient leverage. Saved a lot of back pain!
Hope this helps. Worked for me.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back