Best way to fill this path

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Total novice here. I don't want to pay builders prices if I can do it myself.

What is the best way to get rid of the 'lumps and bumps' and get it level so I can walk on it safely and maybe put BBQ /wheelie bins on the area??

Thanks
33tqgw8.jpg
[/img]

Sponsored Links
Start again, probably. Smash the concrete, remove it, lay a bit of hardcore or similar if the ground is soft and/or you need to raise the level a bit after removing the existing surface. Compact the hardcore if you are using it.

Then the surface is up to you e.g. lay a few paving stones on top on a full bed of mortar, lay concrete, lay a bit of block paving on sand.

Loads of information on all these things at www.pavingexpert.com.

Remove the old stuff, put down some small gravel... requires zero skills to do and will leave a nice flat area, unless you're not happy with a gravel surface :p

As above .............
If you put a piece of timber lying across the area you will see the high spots (timber will be sitting on it) just take the high spots away until you think you will cover the rest with chip. It will look worse as you take the old stuff away, before getting better, so don't stress. Aim for a good layer of chip, covers a multitude, so you might want a retainer on the edges of the area? piece of nice timber, maybe?
Remember if you don't like the chip you can always change it, as long as the area isn't to big.

Don't forget to enjoy it ................

Sponsored Links
Depending on how well compacted the gravel is, it might be a pain to get a bin on/off, especially when full.

Good point, you might consider dropping 2 or even 4 paving slabs onto the chip as a base for the bin? You could take the chip almost level with the edge of the slabs, might look rather well, post a picture when you get finished ........

Not trying to be awkward, but if you have gravel too close to the top it will be forever spreading over the adjacent paving, especially with a bin going back and forwards.

When my neighbours are away, I hate taking their wheelies out. Bliddy hard work trying to wheel them and they leave deep ruts, and spread the gravel over the slabs as wrathkeg mentions.

Sorry about that, yes I see what you mean, we better bin the chip idea

What a pile of poop, it's almost as bad as the path I had in my garden. Once lifted, lay down a few inches of sand, then some slabs bought cheaply from ebay. Or just buy them from B&Q, it's not a lot of money.

Sorry about that, yes I see what you mean, we better bin the chip idea

Although only if the OP wants to use it for bins, their post says maybe for BBQ/Bins... keep it for the BBQ and chips will be fine!!!!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back