General Advice needed.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,
I'm new to the site and forums in general, so please humour me!

The wife and I have recently bought our first home, an early 1900's 2 bed mid terrace.
It all appeared to be in pretty good order, but now we've moved in and commenced decorating, problems are starting to present themselves.

The first of which is in my back bedroom. There was evidence of damp in one corner of the room. This was caused by a persistent leaky gutter dumping water down the outside render/pebbledash. The gutter was repaired and the exterior render retouched where it had cracked.
I was expecting to have to do some patch plastering (perfectly confident with that) however upon removing the wallpaper, it became apparent that all the plaster was shot to hell. It pretty much fell off, exposing the brickwork.

The brickwork was a little porous in places and some of the pointing was missing. Brickwork was incredibly uneven, overboarding looked too tricky.(to me)

I've gone into this fairly blind, but I proceeded as follows.

1) Hacked off all old plaster, loose pointing etc.
2) Filled around the window with expanding foam.
3) Wire brushed entire wall, hoovered wall.
4) Applied a coat of PVA (about 1part PVA to 3parts water)
5) Applied a fairly thin coat of bonding in an attempt to get some kind of flat surface to work on.
6) Applied a second, thicker coat of bonding.

I've now stopped temporarily, but wanted to check if I have cocked this right up before I go any further. As I said, I've gone into this blind, so any help and advice would be hugely appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It's not too late for me to hack off the bonding coat again, the materials haven't cost me a penny as they were overstock from a job at work.
What would you suggest in place of bonding?

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back