Wiring from transformer melted?!

Sponsored Links
Yes it is. The manufacturer calls it an electronic transformer therefore it is.
So if they called it a ocean going yacht, would that make it one?

and the maker writing that word on the case does not make it one.
Yes it does.
No, not until they are granted some power, by an authoritative organisation, to redefine the meanings of words.

overview-hero.png.original.png
I can't decide whether you are being insulting in thinking that people won't understand that a trade or product name is very different from the name of what something is, or whether you genuinely don't understand that yourself.

Q.E.D. and an inescapable flaw in your argument.
Only in the feeble mind of someone who does not understand, or in the offensively insulting mind of someone who thinks that others won't understand

You can easily find the definition of "transformer", and simply changing a voltage is insufficient.

It does the same in a different way - invented since the definition was written.
There is no new definition.

Indeed. I might have fractionally more sympathy for winston if it just said "Transformer" - but it actually says "Electronic Transformer", which is a new phrase to describe these things which, as you say, were not invented (or even dreamed of) when the (unqualified) word "transformer" came into being.
But it's a misnomer that was never needed.

We already had the term "power supply", which worked perfectly well.

I wonder if winston has the same problem with things like "electronic documents", "electronic signatures", "electronic dictionaries", "electronic cigarettes" and suchlike?
Were there existing words or terms already available to use for those?

Sponsored Links
I feel slightly awkward, having started this post, at the discussion that has followed :eek:

I'd like to thank everybody for their help but kindly request that you agree to disagree on the correct or incorrect naming of things.

If not only to avoid unfriendliness but also to stop my phone from pinging every time somebody replies to the thread! :LOL:

Thanks again and sleep easy.

PING

Yes it is. The manufacturer calls it an electronic transformer therefore it is.
So if they called it a ocean going yacht, would that make it one?
Yes.
You have, of course, picked a particularly silly example but if, because of its shape, the manufacturer called it a sausage then that is what it would be.

and the maker writing that word on the case does not make it one.
Yes it does.
No, not until they are granted some power, by an authoritative organisation, to redefine the meanings of words.
They don't have to redefine.
Even if it did not have the same function, that would still be its name.

I can't decide whether you are being insulting in thinking that people won't understand that a trade or product name is very different from the name of what something is, or whether you genuinely don't understand that yourself.
Yet it is called a blackberry.

Q.E.D. and an inescapable flaw in your argument.
Only in the feeble mind of someone who does not understand, or in the offensively insulting mind of someone who thinks that others won't understand

You can easily find the definition of "transformer", and simply changing a voltage is insufficient.t
Yet it transforms. CLICK

It does the same in a different way - invented since the definition was written.
There is no new definition.
How long will it before the definition is updated?

2511349116313.81539.png

Indeed. I might have fractionally more sympathy for winston if it just said "Transformer" - but it actually says "Electronic Transformer", which is a new phrase to describe these things which, as you say, were not invented (or even dreamed of) when the (unqualified) word "transformer" came into being.
But it's a misnomer that was never needed.
Quite probably - but whether or not it was needed is not what people are discussing. We certainly didn't need to start calling bulbs "lamps", particularly given that "lamp" already had (and still does have) a totally different meaning!

Kind Regards, John

You have, of course, picked a particularly silly example but if, because of its shape, the manufacturer called it a sausage then that is what it would be.
Will you please tell us (and these are genuine questions, not rhetorical, for which proper answers are important), if in that case you would happily fry a few of them, and eat them with chips, and a fried egg?

If not, why not?

If you bought a sausage roll, and it contained one of those wrapped in flaky pastry, would you think that was OK?

If not, why not?

Are you being deliberately obtuse?

As per above, if a handful of them were stewed with apple, and served in a dish covered with pastry, would you eat it?

If not, why not?

Yet it transforms.
So does a dropper resistor, that does not make it a transformer.

This flies:

butterfly-world.jpg

Calling it an aeroplane does not make it one.

I don't know.

But until it is updated, calling it something it is not is wrong.

Will you please tell us (and these are genuine questions, not rhetorical, for which proper answers are important), if in that case you would happily fry a few of them, and eat them with chips, and a fried egg?
Of course not.

If not, why not?
Because it is not edible or even eatable; it merely has the same name.

If you bought a sausage roll, and it contained one of those wrapped in flaky pastry, would you think that was OK?
If not, why not?
As above.
I don't think it is difficult to understand that some completely different things have the same name - let alone some things with the same function.

Are you being deliberately obtuse?
Not as obtuse as some.

As per above, if a handful of them were stewed with apple, and served in a dish covered with pastry, would you eat it?
If not, why not?
Because it it not edible; it just has the same name.

Yet it transforms.
So does a dropper resistor, that does not make it a transformer.
Are you saying something which transforms is not transforming?

This flies:
butterfly-world.jpg

Calling it an aeroplane does not make it one.
This one is a peacock
peacock.png

I don't know.
But until it is updated, calling it something it is not is wrong.
But that is its name according to the makers.

Just in case there was some confusion, the image at the end of my previous post was not a reference to my sausage example.

It was a hot dog.

I don't know. ... But until it is updated, calling it something it is not is wrong.
The definition of 'lamp' does not yet seem to have been updated to including the (IMO daft!) way in which electricians etc. have come to use the word:
Oxford Dictionaries said:
Lamp NOUN 1. A device for giving light, either one consisting of an electric bulb together with its holder and shade or cover, or one burning gas or oil and consisting of a wick or mantle and a glass shade
So, is it also wrong (I personally wish it was!) for electricians etc. to use the word to mean 'electric bulb' or 'light bulb' until such a time when (if) the dictionary definition is updated ?

Kind Regards, John

But an electric device which (helps) create light, is only called a 'bulb' if it looks like the kind of bulb that gardeners plant in the soil.

Although some call flourescent tubes 'bulbs', which to me sounds stupid!

So what it the alternative to 'lamp' if that is (in your opinion) 'daft'?

So what it the alternative to 'lamp' if that is (in your opinion) 'daft'?
How about illuminater, electric illuminater, electronic illuminater. etc etc

Though a pedant might object and say it could not be called an illuminater if there was nothing being illuminated by it.

Not to be confused with an illuminator ( a person who illuminates manuscipts )

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Manuscript_illuminators

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back