scribing around a round bottom stair?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm fitting some flooring in the kitchen

Trying to work out how to get the round bottom stair marked out to cut

I used a length of wood with a pencil attached to it, but as you can see by the marks on the flooring, it looks like an earthquake reading

Any other ideas?

I want it spot on so I don't have any gaps, I'll leave an expansion gap at the opposite end

Sponsored Links
How about bending a peice of solder or soft wire around to get the radius and then use a compass or tin the right size to mark it?

Use a piece of card board (corn flake box) or hard board to get the template then draw around it onto the flooring.

Offer the card board up to the stairs and slowly trim the edge until you are happy with the shape.

Andy

The cardboard method is about your best bet but there is a way of making it easier to form :

1) Cut an approximate template to act as a backing piece.

2) Cut a number of cardboard fingers, say an inch or so wide and trim their short sides to suit part of the curvature or transition points.

3) Glue or sellotape these to the backing sheet.

The finished article should then be a pretty accurate template from which you can mark your boards.

Sponsored Links
you already have the correct angle there,place some card on the step and mark the card from underneath.then measure the distance from the nosing and work it out accordingly.have i explained that ok???

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back