Changing a bathroom extractor

Thanks for the pics.

As i suspected, that yellow is not an earth but a live (switched live hopefully, i.e when your bathroom light is on its live)

Thanks for reply

1. So can I fit the new fan without having to fit a double pole

and

2. Will the humidity sensor still run when the lights have been turned off with the pull switch.

Sponsored Links
1. So can I fit the new fan without having to fit a double pole?

You existing fan really should have an isolator switch. But if you fit the fan without, its no worse than what you have at the moment. (well it could well annoy you when trying to adjust the humidity pot)

2. Will the humidity sensor still run when the lights have been turned off with the pull switch?

Yes (if it doesn't use yellow instead of red)

"please get an electrician" is your default answer though
No, it's not my default.

But I do not accept that people should be doing electrical work without a full and genuine understanding of what they are doing. Someone who sees a core which is not coloured G/Y and is not connected to an earth terminal but thinks it's an earth clearly does not have sufficient competence.

And I am in no doubt whatsoever that anybody who encourages such a person to put-this-wire-in-that-hole even though they know that the person doesn't actually understand why is being grossly irresponsible.

Sponsored Links
I have one in my utility room. Nice fan.
And it does have L N and Ls terminals. So an easy swop.

Do read carefully the humidity adjustment instructions though..

"please get an electrician" is your default answer though
No, it's not my default.

But I do not accept that people should be doing electrical work without a full and genuine understanding of what they are doing. Someone who sees a core which is not coloured G/Y and is not connected to an earth terminal but thinks it's an earth clearly does not have sufficient competence.

And I am in no doubt whatsoever that anybody who encourages such a person to put-this-wire-in-that-hole even though they know that the person doesn't actually understand why is being grossly irresponsible.

Thanks banallsheds...... it was your comment that made me go and re-look at the wiring and take a picture......my mistake was just posting /looking too quickly and thinking it was an earth.

I would NEVER attempt electrical work from new, I was just looking to replace a fan and replicate the wiring using the old as a guide

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back