Samsung SRd443

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
If anyone can help with issues below with image quality etc would be grateful.

DVR Equipment

DVR Unit: Samsung: DVR SRD443
Cameras: Samsung SCV-2081R

Im using IE11 and struggling to get the Web admin/remote viewing interface to load, there's issues with the webcamviewer.cab activeX components loading? I tried setting most Browser settings from disable to prompt but still not loading the live feed components or setup/configure components. Just a shell, nothing working.

Abandoned all attempts in the end and tried firefox, this was some improvement but i needed Silverlight instead. That loaded the web admin interface but will albeit limited functionality. And the cam views were crap, especially at night its like the camera was swarmed with bees, seems there is constant what looks like jpeg dithering effect going on. Almost like my feed from the DVR to my workstation is poor, tried connecting to same hub(local!) same issue.

Abandoned the Web feed and tried using the supplied software instead which failed to load on my laptop but works fine on workstation.
Again the same issue of low quality feed and picture jumping about, my issue being if i want to actually look at it to see anything in the evening it's close to useless especially in dark areas, theres so much picture noise going you couldn't see anyone.

I called Samsung support, much as the guy was a pleasant chap he didnt really have any answers, a pointer to firmware but i am pretty sure mine is loaded with that already, will have to check tonight.

Ive setup DYNDNS etc and locked down security as much as possible for external access, I downloaded the iPolis mobile app, which works pretty good. Still a bit shaky feed but im happy to get a data feed over O2 period!

Back to my image quality and activeX issues, anyone care to share any wisdom on above?

Am i expecting too much here?

Fyi i have a monitor and VGA lead arriving tomorrow so i can test via monitor connected direct. Its not really what i want because we want to be able to monitor cams via laptops in house/external not a direct connection!

Also one other thing regards to dome.

I have one setup almost perfect but i need to pan or zoom out slighly, i noticed some colars with screws on sticking out on the lens but didn't know if they were factory adjusters to i slide up down or twist collar to zoom out, i need a wider shot, and apparently this dome is adjustable.

Thanks!!!

Sponsored Links
I'm going to ignore your image problems... :oops:

The collars with screws are the zoom and focus rings. slacken the screws, twist and retighten. You might want to get someone else to watch the screen while you do this!

Have you tried the 'live view' settings in the Network menu?
Mine was defaulted to low quality and moving to high or very high gives satisfactory images via Samsung Smart Viewer, on the low setting it was as you describe.
BTW I use Chrome and did not have any software installation problems.
Ipolis works OK even at the lower quality settings.
However if you get email alerts to work let me know!

To get later versions of IE working with CCTV active x controls properly seems to need you to use "Run as administrator" (right click the icon on the start menu).

Sponsored Links
Have you tried the 'live view' settings in the Network menu?
Mine was defaulted to low quality and moving to high or very high gives satisfactory images via Samsung Smart Viewer, on the low setting it was as you describe.
BTW I use Chrome and did not have any software installation problems.
Ipolis works OK even at the lower quality settings.
However if you get email alerts to work let me know!

Thanks Jmshep yep already set it to high as you say default is low, better but just snowy instead. Anyway i have to say the Samsung support was pretty bad, all my questions i asked not one was answered, people on here and some figuring out myself has been far more fruitful!

OK ill have a crack at notifications tonight, if i cant work it out i shouldn't be doing my job!!

cheers

OK I have email test alerts working, now I just need to create an alert and see what happens..

I rang Samsung helpline about the email notification settings and like you they could'nt answer any questions, they were nice and easy to talk to but all they could suggest was to use Google mail.

I can't get past the test stage so if you could let me know the general settings you used I would be grateful.

Otherwise, I found the set up straightforward and the DVR has been running as it should for about 3 months (unlike a previous Chinese one)

HI matey yes of course ill paste you some details soon, real tied up in work at the moment!

Few things to note, make sure you have a reserved static set on your router for your device ie if it's 192.168.1.200 change to dhcp and set it as reserved 1.200 ive seen issues with static ips without a reservation mapped to that mac on the network.

Do you have your DNS and gateway set to your router IP?

ipconfig -all from a command prompt check your DNS and Default gateway there from your pc, compare.

Using default SMTP port 25 With TLS selected
What's your smtp host?

Try that and hit the test button at the bottom.

Yes Samsung UK support friendly but not exactly SME's im afraid. Back in the day when I dealt with Canon support staff they were all fking genius by default!!

Good luck let me know or screenshot your stuff ill look.

Thanks for the offer re email notification settings.
I checked the settings as suggested but no joy so far. My SMTP port is 465 with SLL encryption (Virgin Media) but matching the Samsung settings and the email settings both for port 465 and port 25 has no effect.
I am using a Virgin media cable router as just a modem and a TP Link as the router so perhaps this is complicating things as far as the DVR is concerned?
I don't really need the notifications and other wise my email settings work fine, I just don't like to be defeated If anything comes to mind that would be great, but please don't waste any time on my problem and thanks for you help so far.

any joy fixing your issue? As i said before long as your gateway settings are right not much else to fail. fyi i did a sanity test with my nas device with my smtp settings just to test.

Anyway i have to say I'm completely unimpressed with my 443 DVR and camera,combo, considering it's cost me fair amount of money 600quid for dvr and 2 dome samsung dome cams as well. I checked the replays (on highest setting, of me getting in the car in the driveway you'd be hard pushed to see it was me the quality is that crap.

Id only ever consider something higher like the SRd 476 with 1280 x 576 resolution mine is next to useless for face recognition. Either that or I've set it up wrong (everything is set to max) 4cif etc.

Festive
My SRD443 installation is not perfect but it is what I expect from the camera/recording resolution. If you would like to send me a PM with an email address I will send you some screenshots from my cameras and set up for comparison.

Regards

Hi Festive, I regularly fit the SRD-473 which is now 476 with the SCV-2081 ams and its brilliant - never had any customer complaints.......

Ive also used the 443 and while it lacks bells and whistles the unit plays back as good as the 473.

600 for DVR + 2 cams is extortionate......

Last edited by a moderator:
HI Max,

Indeed im going to check my invoice as i admit im somewhat unsure as to what cost what, was a while back.

Also regards the SRD-443, the fly in the ointment is the playback ability over network. Ive confirmed and checked with Samsung UK support:

This is a major flaw and issue...

Whilst it can record up to Up to 25fps@704 x 576

Over the network or a network it's complete and utterly useless.

Max resolution over network is...drum roll....

352 x 288 (CIF resolution) Thats utterly pathetic. Bear in mind your average smartphone has a resolution display of 1080x1920, it's useless.

I was gobsmacked when i discovered this. For example, when i rx an email notification of movement detected the attached image is so LOW res, my 5 year old might as well knocked up a quick drawing of said person and mailed it to me...

I cannot fathom how this is shipped as a serious security product, it must of been designed for the shelves of B&Q.

Do i sound hacked off with it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back