What's this doo dah?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello. I was in the crawl space under my brothers house doing some wiring today and noticed he's got some thing which has a slow leak and looks like it's been leaking for a while.

It's directly below his boiler in the kitchen.

What is it and does it need to be in such a difficult to access place if it's likely to leak again?

Thanks for looking

Sponsored Links
That's a fernox boiler buddy

It's a filter for the heating system. ****e they were. Lucky it's still in one piece

Get rid asap if I were u

Can I replace the whole lot back to the Yorkshire elbows with a bit of 22mm pipe then put something like a magna clean above the floor?

Dare I ask what's the best filter or is that can of worms territory?

Yes thats a can of worms territory. You wont get a definet answer. Just opinion and experience.

Personally The Spirotec MB3 is my filter of choice, it wont leak and its easy and quick to empty.

You wul dbe alot better removing that neglected Shi*ty filter under the floor and fitting anything else above floor.

Sponsored Links
+1 for the Spirotech MB3.

The installer of the boiler buddy had a bit of nouse by installing these leak prone devices under the floor to minimise water damage. To be fair, when these first came out, there wasn't much choice available other than the expensive original Spirotechs.

James.

Just fitted an imag, nice solid bit of kit but time will tell if its any good.

As this is below the floor, I assume you have removed the insulation from the pipes to take the photographs, and they are not normally like that :eek:

As this is below the floor, I assume you have removed the insulation from the pipes to take the photographs, and they are not normally like that :eek:

I've literally never seen a modern install where the pipes have been insulated under the floor. (keeps the cold and damp at bay under there :mrgreen: )

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back