masonary screws

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I want to put a 55 inch Tv onto a block wall that's been dot n dabbed,I read somewhere that masonary screws may be the answer but is this the case as they won't need raw plugs,but will it look crap on the plasterboard?

Sponsored Links
Your question doesn't really make sense.

Masonry screws don't need plugs.

Will what look crap?
If you mean the screws, who's going to see them?

Depends on what kind of blocks - some are really soft.
If you hit a dot, ok - a void, not so good.

If a void, use hollow wall anchors.

For proper security I would advise using long screws and rawplugs set into the blockwork.

Forget the 'quick-fix' solutions and gimmicks. If that television should fall and land on a child the results don't bear thinking about.

With the unknown quality of the blocks I would use chemical anchors with suitable length bolts and spacers.

Sponsored Links
If you have thermolite you need screw-in wall plugs, masonry screw will pull straight out of soft blockwork as will most standard plug and bolts.

These are what you need......
http://www.timco.co.uk/fasteners-fixings/multi-fix/mf-range-screw

And easily removable if the need ever arises.
A T30 driver tip is all that's needed for installation and appropriate drill bit.
They also supply decorative caps to help the aesthetics.

These have easily 10 times greater holding power than sleeved anchors.
If your block work is common 3.6N/mm² - 7.3N/mm² then 70mm penetration will be fine.

Sleeved anchors and expansive bolts are for dinosaurs imo.

Modern TV's are not what they used to be. Some old TV's would have needed an acrow prop under them to give support. :LOL:

Example...
An old Sony 32" KV-32XBR200 = 77kg.

New 55" SONY BRAVIA KD55X9005BBU = 38kg.

Hello all I want to put a 55 inch Tv onto a block wall that's been dot n dabbed,I read somewhere that masonary screws may be the answer but is this the case as they won't need raw plugs,but will it look crap on the plasterboard?
With large tv I remove plasterboard under mounting plate [use as a template] and replace with ply to match the depth of the plasterboard, secure to blockwork then you can use ordinary screws to timber plate.
Cut plasterboard 10 mm in from edge of mount then it can't be seen .

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back