woodturning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
making nice stuff out of logs.

i get free wood from everywhere. some good stuff, some rubbish only fit for burning.

might get round to posting some pics in the future.

Sponsored Links

i get free wood from everywhere. some good stuff, some rubbish only fit for burning.

Sounds interesting what's the minimum requirement for turning? tool/machine wise.

I think I can sum that up.

1) A wood turning machine (lathe)
2) Turning tools
3) wood

foxhole";p="2884287 said:

Sounds interesting what's the minimum requirement for turning? tool/machine wise.

1) A wood turning machine (lathe)
2) Turning tools
3) wood

different chucks for holding the wood being turned in different ways.
faceplate chuck, screw chuck, scroll chuck with jaws etc
quite expensive to set up unless you can grab a bargain on ebay.

you can manage with gluing on to blocks etc.

Sponsored Links
thought i would post a pic of one of my first attempts .
last year i bought 2 tons of firewood, i saw a piece of wood that looked like it had some decent grain it. i glued it to a piece of 3x2 softwood and started work.

it went from this.

to this.

i'm not quite happy with the shape of it but for a first attempt its not bad.

Nice.

My wood turning would have been taking the bit that the original was sat on, picking it up and placing it back upside down :)

Spread the word and people come flocking to have bits made for musical instruments......at one time I was turning (!) bits out for Northumbrian pipes.
Ghastly instrument!
Seriously, you have some first class work there.
John :)

thanks chaps, those items have been finished with 3 coats of sanding sealer. cut back with 600 grit between coats then buffed on the lathe.

Its a luna 1000, .75kw single phase motor, step pulley, 750,1500,3000 rpm.

Swedish, obsolete now. Used in schools and small commercial units. 450mm max diameter, 1000mm length max. came with a copy lathe attachment and tools, cost ,me £150. bargain!

I put a new motor in and have had adapters made to fit new chucks etc.

if you have a Luna machine you might be interested in looking here
http://www.ejca.se/
You'll have to translate unless you read Swedish, and then go to "Products" and open the pdf catalogue. Lathes are down the page a bit. Nice machines!
I found this page a while back searching for Luna. I have a W69 universal.
Apparently "Luna" didn't actually manufacture the machines, they were made by these people. Still the same machines. Or at least they look the same.

Sponsored Links
Back