Cold water tank fills with hot, then overflows

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies in advance for the length of this post, but I'm trying to anticipate everything I'll be asked.

Our bathrooom was refitted last week and its standard radiator replaced with a towel radiator (exactly the same as we had done in the en-suite the previous year). Not long after the system was refilled at the end of the job, water started steadily dripping out of the cold water tank's overflow pipe under the gutter of the house. The plumber who fitted the bathroom seems to be stumped and I can't see a logical reason either, so over to you. Here are the details:

Open vented, indirect system with a cold water tank and a feed and expansion tank next to each other in the loft. Directly beneath them in the airing cupboard on the second floor is the hot water cylinder, pump, pipework etc.

Below again, on the first floor, is the bathroom itself, and the boiler (Ideal Icos) is on the ground floor. The bathroom has a thermostatic shower/mixer tap, unpumped. The plumber told me when he was doing the bathroom that that tap is fed by mains cold and gravity hot, (which has always been the case), which he thought unusual. That shower's always been great, and still is. The en-suite above has a pump to its shower.

The symptoms of the problem are that over a period of around 7 hours, warm water enters the cold water tank and causes it to overflow. If I drain it so it's below the level of the overflow, which I do by isolating its mains cold supply then running the bath's hot tap for 10-15 mins, obviously that temporarily cures the problem but the level creeps back up.

This happens regardless of whether the CH/HW system is active or not - so I can drain the tank before going to bed, and with everything off for the night and no water being drawn from any outlet, when I get up in the morning the tank will be overflowing again. As I say, the water in the cold water tank is warm, and I've narrowed the source to the pipe which leads from the tank to the hot water cylinder, which presumably should only ever have cold going down, not hot coming up. The only other possibilities would be the vent pipe, which enters at the top of the CW tank (not this, because I floated a plastic bowl under it, left it all night and in the morning it was still empty and the water had still risen) and the cold water mains inlet (not this, because I've left that switched off via its isolation valve).

So hot water is either being pushed or sucked up the pipe into the tank, but with the system apparently doing nothing. How's this possible? Could it be the pump? The plumber did also note that the pump is constantly humming, spinning quietly even when there's no demand for HW/CW, but that's always been the case and this only started happening after the radiators were drained and refilled. I wondered about air in the system - I've bled all the radiators and that's made no difference. Could it be something to do with the boiler?

Anyway. If anyone has any ideas I'd love to hear them. Thanks in advance...

Sponsored Links
DHW coil in your cylinder is leaking central heating water into the cylinder, maybe. Is the boiler CH pressure falling

How would I know if it's falling? It doesn't have a pressure guage. The radiators are perhaps not as hot as they usually are - though I didn't really check them obsessively until this started happening so it's hard to be sure.

And how come it would just start to happen as a result of the replaced radiator?

Is the F&E tank sited at a higher level than the cold water tank? if so it could be a hole in the DHW Tank coil, as Jackrae says.

Maybe try tying up the F&E ballcock and see if the water level is falling.

Another remote possibility might be mains cold water finding it's way through a dodgy shower mixer valve and backing into the hot water feed.

Sponsored Links
First prevent the F&E tank from refilling and see if it's water level is falling.

If it isn't, then look at how mains cold water could find it's way into the hot water system.

My money would be on the gravity shower, mains cold and gravity hot water are never a good idea.

My money would be on the gravity shower, mains cold and gravity hot water are never a good idea.

I could more readily understand this if the problem happened when the shower was running, but this happens when nothing's happening on the system. That bathroom shower hasn't been used since Tuesday and the en-suite since yesterday morning, but still through the day yesterday and overnight last night the tank continued to fill.

I cant be sure cos I am not in front of your shower but what normally happens is the cold water pressure pushes past the (stuck) non return valve and pushes hot water through the cylinder and up into the cold water tank, it wont happen when the shower is running, can you isolate the supplies to the shower ?

So an update on this, because it's still not fixed and the plumber's scratching his head.

Per the previous post, I tied up the ballcock in the F&E: no difference. It appears the F&E tank level never moves up or down, or only by fractions.

It's worth noting that though I previously said isolating the cold tank's mains cold supply had no effect, isolating the mains cold into the house via the stopcock in the kitchen DOES STOP THE PROBLEM. Turn it back on though and the problem returns. Note that the radiator temps and the hot water temp both seem fine.

The majority opinion seems to be mixer tap or shower sending cold into the hot pipe somewhere. I've tried to rule them all out one by one, but the trouble is I think I have done yet the tank continues to fill with hot.

The four mixers, all combining mains cold and gravity hot, are the kitchen sink tap, the thermo mixer bath tap, the en-suite shower and the en-suite basin tap.

The first two now have non-return valves on them so they should be out of the question. The en-suite shower I've isolated by closing the valve to it that comes off the hot water cylinder. Problem still occurs. And the en-suite basin has taps on its pipes allowing it to be easily independently isolated - doing this doesn't cure the problem either.

To my mind that rules out all of the mixers. Which leaves..?

I rang a couple of plumbers for their opinions: the first said without hesitation that it will be the immersion heating element that has failed and is too hot, sending hot up to the cold tank. I would doubt it, as as I've stated, the problem doesn't occur when the mains cold into the house is off, plus the immersion's never switched on (unless of course it's broken on).

And apart from that the assumption seems to be the mixers - which I think I've discounted.

So now this has been going on for a week and a half - someone please give me something else to try!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back