Question re Fitting New Blind Brackets

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I have just purchased a Faux Wood Blind from Blinds2Go and am about to install it myself - but I have a slight concern re attaching the brackets to the window recess. My window recess is a wood impression of some kind (please see photos) and I wonder if I should just screw into it with the supplied 30mm screws. I have been supplied with 30mm rawl plugs also for fixing the brackets. I am not sure how thick the window trim material is or what is behind it - but on knocking on it, it sounds fairly hollow sounding. I am wondering what is the best thing to do. I am concerned about getting a good secure fixing of the brackets as the blind has a fair weight. There are 2 side brackets and two additional support brackets (please see photo). As regards the rawl plugs I am not sure if I should use them for screwing into the wood type material of the trim?

Can anyone advise, thank you.

Sponsored Links
Looks to be plastic [wood effect] I would use a short 20mm screw, if the longer screw hits a solid background it could force the trim off the window.
No wall plugs required. There is always the chance it could pull loose if the trim is not firmly fixed, but you can't be sure till you try.The bracket could be secured to both top and side reveal to make the fixing more secure.

Would these wood screws also work with this wood impression material? :-

Screwfix : Quicksilver Twin Thread Countersunk Prodrive Recess Woodscrews 8 x 1" Product Code: 16199

Or are these only suitable for REAL wood?

I couldn't find Flange Self-Tapper of size 8 x 1", only 6 x 1" or 8 x 3/4".

I need the 8 x 1" for the top-fixed middle support brackets, as I need a spacer to level them with side box brackets, so a longer screw is needed.

I was going to use 8 x 3/4" self tappers for side box brackets but if I hit anything I will try 8 x 1/2" size instead.

I am not really sure what is the difference between self-tapper and wood screw? Can wood screw generally be used on wood impression type materials ?

Sponsored Links
Self tappers cut their own thread and are generally harder than wood screws.
Either will be ok .

Thanking you.

I cannot help but thinking this blind is quite a heavy weight to support in this window recess with its thin panels - the hardest bit will be getting the 4 brackets (2 end ones + 2 middle ones) to be exactly horizontal, so weight is distributed equally amongst them all - but the way I see it, because blind's head rail is inflexible metal, being off by only a couple of mm's would negate that, and one or more of the brackets will then bear none of the weight. I hope I will somehow get them perfect and the blind will not fall down !!

I could of course get an installer but my heart was set on learning to do this job myself!

Thank you once again for the advice

All that's required to get it level is a long spirit level or a straight timber and a level.

That's it - the brackets all seem perfectly secure, I used the 1" wood screws, and I got the brackets dead level with the spirit level. The only problem now is the blinds leave slight gaps between slats when fully closed so I will need a curtain as well, otherwise they are decent blinds for the price £90.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back