How to fix front door expansion during the winter?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have a 12 year old home and in the winter time, our wood front door to the house expands to the point where it is very difficult to open it. At times, we feel like we're almost going to pull the door handle off.

I have read that I can take the door off the hinges and shave it down a bit, but in all honesty, with my age/health, this would not be an easy task for me.

Are there any other simple DIY fixes that I can attempt which would not require me to take the door down or shave it down slightly? I'm not sure what type fo wood our front door is made out of but it does look a bit worn out with the summer sun.

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Now I'm no expert with wood but a common problem with wood is it swells when moisture is present i.e. winter and dries out in summer. Shaving the door down will cure the winter problem easily but when summer comes and the door shrinks then you have a door that is too small. You haven't said whether the door is painted or stained but the usual cause is an exposed area of the door i.e. not sealed from the elements is allowing it to suck in the moisture and swell.

What I would suggest is waiting till the summer months when the door has dried out and shrunk, remove the door and paint/seal any areas you find, this is usually underneath or across the top, don't paint and seal the moisture in now because that just wouldn't be good

Im no expert on timber but in my opinion if its swelling up enough to cause problems now moisture must be getting into it somehow.

I think it would be well worth getting someone in to take it off and plane it down a bit, The door can be checked underneath (and anywhere else) for areas that need painting to protect the door.

A few pounds getting it sorted and protected now could save you from having to buy a new door a few years down the line.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back