Dripping mixer tap

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My kitchen mixer tap is dripping badly and I want to fix it. I bought a bag of mixed washers, but I've read that it might actually be a case of replacing a ceramic cartridge, since the tap is a quarter-turn type?

Here is a photo:

Is that the cartridge I need to replace? And do I need to turn off the water supply before doing so?

Thanks for any advice.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you'll need a new tap insert for this.....the diy sheds do stock some, but there's a better choice from Lunns.net
Any replacement must be exact - which gives us many problems at times, and often a new tap is easier.
John :)

Thanks for the replies. I turned off the cold water supply and thought I'd take out the cartridge and take it to a plumbers merchants to get an identical one. However, despite liberal application of WD40, I can't unscrew the thing. Looks like I'll have to consider other options.

Sponsored Links
Yes, you'll need a new tap insert for this.....the diy sheds do stock some, but there's a better choice from Lunns.net
Any replacement must be exact - which gives us many problems at times, and often a new tap is easier.

Is it really beyond the realms of possibility to standardise some of this ****. Narrowing it down to about ten types of valve would be great, then all the plumbers merchants could stock them. They could even print an identification code on them.

I suppose the fact that so many people end up buying new taps stops this happening.

A bigger spanner, Mr.Cassidy :p
I have to say that I don't recognise that particular tap......I have to place a personal curse on taps from Aldi and Ikea et al for all the problems they give me - I now go for the traditional rubber washer taps from the Toolstation range as a replacement.
Try making money from jobs like this :p

A bigger spanner, Mr.Cassidy :p
I have to say that I don't recognise that particular tap......I have to place a personal curse on taps from Aldi and Ikea et al for all the problems they give me - I now go for the traditional rubber washer taps from the Toolstation range as a replacement.
Try making money from jobs like this :p

Days trying to source the correct valve and five minutes to fit it...I know.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back