Nissan Serena Clutch Bleeding

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I recently had my Clutch slave cylinder replaced on my Nissan Serena SLX
and my clutch pedal still felt spongy and dropped to the floor occasionally.

I took it back to the garage who bled the two bleeding points, one at the slave under the vehicle and the other at the master under the bonnet.

The pedal still drops especially when starting the car first thing even after I obtained a one man bleeding kit and bled the system a couple of times yesterday myself.

Obviously there must be air still in the system but how many times do I need to bleed?

Any advice would be truly appreciated

Regards

Sponsored Links
There's a possibility here that the master cylinder itself could be faulty......are you sure it has checked out ok?
I have to say that some clutches are horrible to bleed, and I use a Gunson Easibleed system that pressurises the master cylinder from spare tyre air.
This seems to work particularly well.
John :)

Dropping to the floor would point to the non return valve in the master cylinder sticking/staying open, not air. Air will only cause spongy pedal, but you will still have a pedal.
Do you get air in the system when you bleed again?

Just to say that the i'd agree that the Gunson Eezibleed is a great bit of kit. Makes bleeding nearly anything dead simple. :)

Sponsored Links
Not really sure, but I think Gunsons maybe part of the Laser group?
No problems with that but some of the products aren't all they could be.
One thing I never got on with was the Colortune transparent spark plug.....when twiddling with the ubiquitous SU carb, the flame colour always looked the same :p

Not really sure, but I think Gunsons maybe part of the Laser group?
No problems with that but some of the products aren't all they could be.
One thing I never got on with was the Colortune transparent spark plug.....when twiddling with the ubiquitous SU carb, the flame colour always looked the same :p
Funny how these things come together somehow. I "found" my Colortune yesterday when I was having a tidy in my garage cupboard. It was with one of those tools for adjusting Strombergs. I never really liked the Colortune either. It just looked whitish in there IIRC. We were talking about tracking in the pub on Sunday, and I said I'd often wondered about that Gunsons tracking gauge that you roll the tyre over. Any good do you know? Can you still get them even?

It's the sort of job I leave to the tyre fitters, Dave......I can do basic tracking myself but who knows how accurate it is at the end of the day.
I've never used that Gunson product.
Maybe it's a bit of bias but Kwik Fit have better gear than ATS for tracking, but I appreciate it largely depends on who is doing the job! Thankfully I'm well known at my local KF, and they sort my MOTs for £25 and tracking for the same.
PS Strombergs? The wealthy mans SU! Just make sure you have spare diaphragms handy
J. :p

As you say probably better left to the professionals. I'm not so keen on lying on garage floors as I was at one time anyway!
The Strombergs were on a Triumph engined Marlin roadster I had at one time. Nice, but a bit snug for me!

Not the 6 unfortunately the 4. Not bad in a light car though. :)
Happy days. :)

PS Strombergs? The wealthy mans SU! Just make sure you have spare diaphragms handy
J. :p

It is my opinion that the Strombergs were a copy of the SU, using a rubber diaphragm to get round patents! I hated the Strombergs. SUs every time for me.

It was mooted a long time ago that the Stromberg would react a little bit quicker than the SU, due to the weight of the SU dashpot.......whether that was true, who knows?
Anyway, gone with the SU or whatever and on with the Weber DCD.....or if you were really cool, the DCOE :cool:

We were talking about tracking in the pub on Sunday, and I said I'd often wondered about that Gunsons tracking gauge that you roll the tyre over. Any good do you know? Can you still get them even?
Don't know if they are any good but they (Trakrite) are still available together with their new laser Trakrite device.

Never used them. I now find it easer to drive vehicle to local tyre place that has a Hunter Hawkeye machine as previous vehicle (Peugeot 406) needed 4 wheel alignment.

We were talking about tracking in the pub on Sunday, and I said I'd often wondered about that Gunsons tracking gauge that you roll the tyre over. Any good do you know? Can you still get them even?
Don't know if they are any good but they (Trakrite) are still available together with their new laser Trakrite device.

Never used them. I now find it easer to drive vehicle to local tyre place that has a Hunter Hawkeye machine as previous vehicle (Peugeot 406) needed 4 wheel alignment.

I thought it might be handy to check the tracking as they are apparently pretty accurate, but at around £50 I'll probably give it a miss. :)

Didn't see much difference in use between Strombergs and SUs. Webers were of course the way to go as John says. All committed to the great dustbin of time now, along with choke controls, distributors, dynamos, starting handles . . .

Sponsored Links
Back