Easy way to remove sealant

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Help. I have just tries to put new sealant around shower cubicle and unbeknown to me there was a layer of clear sealant which i did not take off. Result disaster it looks awful but now i am having a terrible job trying to get if off :oops: Can someone offer advice please?

Sponsored Links
Cut it all off with a stanley blade and start again. Watch and not cut yourself mind.

Help. I have just tries to put new sealant around shower cubicle and unbeknown to me there was a layer of clear sealant which i did not take off. Result disaster it looks awful but now i am having a terrible job trying to get if off :oops: Can someone offer advice please?

WD40 is effective at softening silicone sealant. You'll still need to scrape it.

Cheers
Richard

Sponsored Links
Get the worst of it off with a Stanley knife then clean the remnants off with methylated spirits soaked on a cloth which should neutralise and dissolve the sealant. Make sure the area is completely clear of the old sealant before putting new sealant in the gap.

A Stanley knife is quite tricky to use when the blade needs to be flat against the base the sealant is on.

I find a cheap paint scraper (the type that takes a Stanley blade) useful. It also helps that once some sealant is lifted you pull on it gently while continuing to cut out the sealant line.

On mottled surfaces such as textured tiles you will have to resort to chemical removal of the fine film that will still exist after the blade work.

Let it set first (you will get in a terrible mess otherwise). Take a Stanley blade and wrap some tape around the top blunt edge. This will stop it hurting your fingers.

Hold the blade flat on the tray then cut all the way along
Hold the blade flat on the wall then cut all the way along

The majority should now pull away then clean off any bits by gently scraping with the blade. Renew the blade several times

buy a plastic utility knife, them that you should extend the blade with a thumb push, use it and when blunt snap that part of the blade off and carry on..

i extend it quite far and gently saw the sealant off..... pretty easy to do .

I use a sharp half inch wood chisel, used upside down with the bevel rubbing on the flat surface of the tile and then lift the handle gently to start cutting into the silicone as it is pushed along. then do the same along the shower tray or bath.

then clean off whats left with upvc cleaner.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back