Motherboard not using all 4GB

Sponsored Links
I used to run XP and upped to 3GB I am pretty sure that was because I was told it will not run more than 3GB no matter how much you add.

Thanks footprints

A 3GB limit seems to be the general opinion. Perhaps something in the 32bit XP kernel that prevents full use of 4GB?

Anyway I'm now working with a dual core Athlon and 3GB of PC2-6400 rather than a P4 and 2GB of PC3200 so there's an improvement.

A 32-bit architecture is limited to addressing a maximum of 4 gigabytes of memory.

Depending on the operating system, this amount can be less due to reserved address space.

Sponsored Links
When you say reserved address space, would that be for the likes of onboard graphics?

32-bit versions of Windows are limited to 4GB max, but very often only 3GB or less is available to the Operating System.

If you replace Windows XP with a 64-bit version of Windows 7 (or even XP-64 if you can find a copy and the drivers for your mobo and peripherals) you will find that the full 4GB is then available to Windows

From what you said you use it for previously, and your general specs, I would be surprised if 2gb of memory isn't sufficient anyway.

If you really need 4gb of memory, I have to question whether the computer is up to whatever you are doing with it.

I'd leave it as is, not worth the hassle of a new OS just for another GB of memory.

I'm thinking of XP x64,

From experience does anyone know if DDR2 low density and high density memory can work together in the same motherboard.

There's a seller on ebay selling 2x2GB DDR2 but its high density and I'm thinking of adding to the 4GB I have which is low density RAM.

You want to upgrade to 8gb?

What are you doing that even requires 2gb of memory on that rig?

It can't be cad, because the graphics card you listed previously wouldn't even load models that need that much memory, photo-shop would happily run on 2gb unless you start doing professional level editing, there are few programmes that will run on XP that need even 4gb.

Are you sure you are not suffering from upgrade fever?

Anyway.....

Low vs high density = doesnt matter.

There is always a risk when mixing different memory modules, most of the time it won't be an issue (90%), when it is you'll get instability issues, nothing serious, just whip out the old or new sticks.

My PC is mainly for 3D CAD work.

The motherboard (64bit) was part of an upgrade bundle I purchased and although not the latest spec, seems quite impressive in performance.

The motherboard has capacity for 16GB of RAM and recent releases of CAD software are demanding higher RAM requirements.

I found a 2 x 2GB 2Rx8 PC2 RAM listing on ebay which is the same spec as the RAM in the bundle I've bought so that'll make up to 8GB.

Disappointing that good old XP 32bit won't support a full 4GB RAM.

The motherboard has capacity for 16GB of RAM and recent releases of CAD software are demanding higher RAM requirements.

The actual memory usage of CAD, depends upon the complexity of your model, this increases with 3D modelling.

Have you actually checked your memory usage.

I strongly doubt your cad files exceed 0.5-1.5gb in use, larger models than that would be fairly complex, I am unsure your system could even render any 3d models that complex at a reasonable framerate.

If you are seriously doing complex 3D models that require that much memory, and have the latest versions of cad (which costs +£1000), what are you doing running this on a second hand £50 PC without a proper graphics card?

It's a six year old board, I wouldn't go getting too excited or throwing money at it.

I'm happy with the upgrade bundle I bought, what more need I say.

Thanks for the comments folks.

Sponsored Links
Back