Ensuite shower room

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We are putting an ensuite shower room into an existing large bedroom. It will have a velux window.

My husband wants to lower the ceiling in shower area so it is a fully enclosed cubicle. There will be a fan in there.

There will be another fan in the WHB and toilet area and also the velux.

I feel a totally enclosed shower could be claustrophobic. I also feel that even with a fan in the enclosed shower cubicle it will be very steamy in there and this steam will come pouring out when exiting the shower.

We will end up with fan in a totally enclosed shower, fan in remaining part and an opening velux.

Having said all this I have seen details of a domed top you can fit over a shower cubicle so perhaps husband is correct.

This ensuite is in a guest bedroom so not used on a regular basis.

Any advice welcomed.

Sponsored Links
I suppose having it fully enclosed will prevent most of the steam escaping into the room and protect the ceiling but the shower cubicle itself will probably be more prone to mould.

Glass should be cleaned with a squeegee after each use and silicon wiped with an e cloth.

The best way of 'airing' a shower is to open a window

In an ideal world, I would want the extractor above the shower, which would be full height, and have an air entry point near the base. No idea if such enclosures exist.

We stayed at a cottage earlier this year, where the en suite had a tall enclosure (1 foot gap at the top), and an extractor over it. Despite long showers, there was no condensation on the mirror, or steam in the room; the fan wasn't even that powerful!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back