Low pitch roof tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Long story short- the pitch on the new extension was supposed to be above 15 degrees, it is below it- about 13-14. We have Wessex tile on it and 3 Velux windows (not in a row) and there is a hip.

It looks like we have to change the tiles- the architect suggests that we go for Sandtoft 20/20 and they look good but I read in this forum they may leak. I have not read about leaks in Centurion tiles.

Or, shall we go for just felted roof? Building control has been around a few times but never checked the pitch. Not sure if I shall seek advise there?

Can anyone recommend a tile which works at low pitch with Veluxes and hip and perhaps recommend a roofer who is familiar with these roofs. We are in North London.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I will let the others answer with regards to the tiles, that said generally tiles are very well tested and if the manufacturers claim a particular pitch then the tiles should work, provided they are installed as per the recommended lap etc. So I wouldn't worry about the odd thread here or there on a forum.

Anyway your Velux's are not guaranteed watertight at bellow 15° without a proper upstand kerb and those kerbs look pretty pants, especially in a tiled roof.

Sponsored Links
I was searching the net about our problem and came across a membrane which provides first barrier waterproofing- Klober Permo Extreme RS SK2. Not sure if someone have used it but it seems that it is designed for use on pitch roof above 10 degrees where the tile cannot get the right pitch.

We started thinking that, instead of raising the rafters with furring, perhaps this one could be used along with Sandtoft 20/20 interlocking tiles? Then just the Veluxes can be raised with upstand as per Velux recommendation to above 15 degrees.

Ideally, the above tile will match the rest of the house and either we can raise rafters and have a small flat section below one window or use the membrane above.

But, do we have to notify the building control inspector? The site is not signed off yet as electricity is not ready but when he comes would he check the pitch and can he say anything about that?

As for the shooting- the initial plan was to go out 4.5 meters then it changed to 4.8 meters. I have a feeling that this is where it came from. When the architect (ex building inspector) changed the dimension he most probably did not check the angle... But he calls for some cash now as he came to see that there is an issue and calculated we have to go up with 15 cm to achieve that 15 degree angle!... Anyway, don't want to go there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back