Garden Wall Project - help required

Sponsored Links
Wow. Probably. None of them are designed to stop slugs anyway. It's just, in my experience, a potential (but not guaranteed!!) beneficial side-effect.

Back to the wall again, we are building on a Type 1 base and then unbound sharp sand for the bed for the bricks, all in line with the Marshalls Croft Stone Walling guidance.

However, the guidance doesn't state what depth of sand to use. What is the recommended minimum/maximum depth of sand to use?

Sponsored Links
Personally i use mortar not too strong, about 6 grit sand to 1 cement and make it about 20mm thick.

Make sure you hammer the blocks down into it well though.

Its only for final levelling so not imperative just don't go laying it on a deep bed of sand. 30mm or less if fine. If you need more than 30mm then your type 1 base has not been prepared well enough.

Personally i use mortar not too strong, about 6 grit sand to 1 cement and make it about 20mm thick.

Make sure you hammer the blocks down into it well though.

Its only for final levelling so not imperative just don't go laying it on a deep bed of sand. 30mm or less if fine. If you need more than 30mm then your type 1 base has not been prepared well enough.

Thanks.

As you say, only for final levelling. Is there a minimum you would recommend? E.g. 10mm? If we went below that e.g. 5mm or almost none, is there risk the bricks would "slide"/move over the Type 1 over time?

There is no minimum really, they will not slide anywehere. As i said its depends on how well you levelled the type 1.

For the drainage backfill for the wall (i.e. inside the Terram 1000 geotextile lining) can we use any of the following:-

Larger angular stones left over from our Type 1 bulk bag? These would be washed prior to use.
Chippings from the Croft Stone Walling bricks? http://www.marshalls.co.uk/homeowners/view-croft-stone-garden-walling

The Type 1 stones are approx 40-60mm width.

The chippings from the Croft Stone Walling bricks vary more considerably in size, some are 100mm long / 20mm wide.

See pictures below.

fvjp77.jpg

2dqiwx.jpg

5bw4zn.jpg

Some before/after pictures of our garden.

Still need to:-

• Refine top course of front wall as I need to hire a stihl saw to shorten some of the bricks;
    Relay steps in line with r896neo's guidance for mortar found;
    Build entire back wall;
    Flag the middle tier.

Finally feel like we're making progress though and thanks to everyone (in particular r896neo) for all their patience, knowledge and insight so far.

Before
24w5vu9.jpg

9gby42.jpg

Current Progress
2i27yjb.jpg

1sxtnq.jpg

looking good. Yes maybe mix the rubble bits in with the clean stone but its not imperative.

If you have a few of the blocks spare you can cut them using a bolster and a heavy hammer, you might break a few trying to get the cut right but if you have extras or ones with big chips out of the face etc then give it a try

After a nice long holiday in Florda, its back to the grindstone and tomorrow we are going to attempt the step section, for which I am going to be doing the following:-

1. Laying the risers (Croft Stone Walling Bricks) on a bed of 50mm thick mortar, using 3:1 building sand:cement. Using the following cement: http://www.diy.com/departments/lafarge-mastercrete-cement-25kg/35720_BQ.prd

2. Infilling with concrete - following product: http://www.diy.com/departments/lafarge-ready-to-use-concrete/135767_BQ.prd

3. Laying the treads on top of the concrete infill / top of the risers with approx 20mm thick mortar, again using the 3:1 building sand:cement ratio.

I have the building sand, cement and a dry concrete mix. Other than water!, do I need any of the following products pictured (or would any of them help make the job easier)?

2m4wwox.jpg

2cncp3l.jpg

4qmux3.jpg

Plasticiser will make the mortar easier to work with but you won't need anything else.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back