Unusual sewage system - 'everlasting pit'

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Apologies if I am posting this in the wrong forum, but this one seemed to be the closest to the subject I am writing about.
I have found a property in Thanet, buuilt about 1938, which I am in the process of buying (have not exchanged contracts yet).
I am not a plumber and know nothing about the subject which may explain my horror when the estate agent contacted me yesterday to say that the elderly vendor had just discovered the property was not connected to the mains sewage pipe in the road. Her house as three other older properties in the road all use a system which, believe it or not, is called 'the everlasting Pit' in their front gardens.
Its essentially like a septic tank but with holes in it that drains out the ('biodegradeable') waste into the ground around it.
Its not visible but seems like a chimmney or well with slots in it. I phoned the council and spoke to a person in building control who had not heard of this system and seemed worried about pollution but suggested I speak to one of his colleague who was knowledgeable about the area in which the property is located. I spoke to him and he said he had heard of the system and (quote) 'if its working OK, then its fine'. I also understand the vendor, on discovering how her drainage worked, called Southern Water who looked at the situation and said they were happy with it and would confirm so in writing (letter still awaited).
The vendor's son said that from the enquiries he has made, it is a very efficient system of disposing of waste, and builders I have spoken to have also said the description of it makes it sound efficient and ahead of its time (and of course no sewage charge is levied on the property).
I would certainly describe myself as 'Green' (ecologically-speaking) but I still can't help worrying about it. I assume it cannot be converted into a septic tank as the front garden is only about 6 or 7 metres long (and about 6 wide) and therefore would be too close to the property, and I am told the cost of linking to the main sewage system in the road would be very high (which to me is the best way to stop my worrying), although no figures have been mentioned.
If anyone has any knowledge of this system (which I cannot find anything about on the internet), I would appreciate their input.
Many thanks.
David

Sponsored Links
If it's been OK since 1938...I wouldn't start winding up the likes of the environment agency now!

We have one of these 'septic tanks without drainage field' at a property we own in Cornwall. Works fine. We even had to have it registered with the EA when we were remortgaging. No comments were made. It works fine. Ours is concrete block construction with rather 'gappy' mortar between the blocks. It just acts as a giant soakaway.

The only comment I feel I should make is that chlorine based cleaning products should be avoided by every one using this "pit". If the biological reactions work, they reduce the volume of the waste by about 50 to 1, i.e. the pit will last 50 times longer before its filled with ash (the non compostable part of what goes in it). So because you don't know how much reserve volume is left, its best to err on the safe side.
Frank

It probably has worked fine since 1938, but how does the lifestyle of the current incumbent compare with yours? If you are going to increase the occupancy of the property, (and add washing machine, dishwasher, several showers/en suites etc), you will suddenly increase the workload of that system. Will it cope? I wouldn't like to say, so if you are positive that is the property for you, I would allow something as a contingency in case the current system fails in the future.....

I have yet to come across any septic tank or 'cesspit' that will cope without being desludged at some point, even the Victorian brick chambers with earth bases eventually cease to function under modern requirements... Whilst the liquid may leach away (and whilst the Environment Agency may be blissfully ignorant at present, you may fall foul of the law if you don't notify them of this system's existence!), the sludge will build up over time, it doesn't just 'disappear' !!!

Given your description I suspect there would insufficient room to locate a septic tank and associated drainage field in the event of failure of the current setup, and if mains drainage is available nearby then it would be common/sensible practice to make use of that. Whilst the initial connection cost be not be cheap, it's a permanent solution.

Sponsored Links
Firstly, many thanks for the replies left. Much appreciated.

I am irritated about this matter as I was only advised about this system a fair way through the buying process. This, as far as I am concerned, was a genuine error as it was only after my solicitor sought details of drainage that the system being came to light. Like the present owner, I am on my own and certainly will not be adding anything that discharges water.
The property is in a road in a residential area of Kent, with many other properties and I am told there are three others in the same road that have this system. having been built before the main drainage system was installed in the road (that all the other properties in the road are linked to).
What concerns me is that I do not seem to have any 'Plan Bs' available to me apart from linking to the main sewage system which I am told is *VERY* expensive (if anyone has any knowledge on the costs of doing this, I would be very interested to hear it). I believe I cannot have a septic tank as the back and front gardens are both small.
I'd very roughly estimate the front garden where the pit is located is about 25 foot long and nearly 30 foot wide.
I must admit that I am worried about this, particularly because of the lack of options open to me, but I do not want to withdraw from the purchase.
The present occupant says Southern Water has recently visited the property and are satisfied with it and are going to confirm this in writing.
I also spoke to someone in the Council who was aware of this system and he said that as long as it was working, there was no reason to be concerned about it.
Are further comments would be very much appreciated.
Thanks

It concerns me that you were not informed until later into the process, I have to wonder whether the matter was not mentioned initially due to fear of putting off potential purchasers, but then fear of being 'rumbled' during a survey led to the matter being brought to light.....

Southern water may well be happy with it, but it's not their problem! It is not their asset, and they have no responsibility for it, if the thing ceases to function you're on your own! Ditto the Council, but as I said previously, it is the Environment Agency that regulates these systems, and they have teeth should they wish to use them.

There are many properties up and down the country that are not on mains drainage, I think the EA rely on the occupiers honesty to declare such as system, but then if the discharge doesn't suit the EA they can then insist on £1000's being spent to upgrade! :eek: I have to wonder, if these systems are/were supposedly adequate, why so many others have opted to connect to mains drainage, or indeed why mains drainage was provided in the first place.....

Connecting to the mains would have to be done by one of Southern Water's 'approved contractors', they'll supply a list on request or it's maybe on their website. Cost will depends on various factors, depth of excavation/drains required, distance, and assumption you can achieve a fall (gradient) on the drain from the hose to the main sewer in the road. If pumping is required, that obviously increases the cost. :(

Get a price to have it connected to the main sewer line and have that amount deducted from the sale.

Andy

Get a price to have it connected to the main sewer line and have that amount deducted from the sale.

Andy
Once connected to the main sewage there is an additional annual cost on your water rates.
I would not get it connected to the 'mains' I would be ensuring that any cost involved with the tank is split between all who use, get your solicitor to do some work.

As someone who knows the potential pitfalls (and associated costs involved) when these types of system go wrong, an annual sewerage charge is the least of your worries! At the moment it appears to be functioning correctly, but heavy rainfall for example could suddenly change that....

I think it is only the one property using this 'tank', so if the worst happens the OP would have to foot the bill. If these systems cease to function then emptying the things daily with a tanker is usually required and that's usually likely to cost around £100 a go! Mains drainage is fit and forget, that's why it's preferred for a good reason. When rural areas are sewered for the first time the take up rate for connection is usually very high.

Firstly, many thanks to those people who took the time to reply to my question. Much appreciated
I have decided not to buy the property and the main reason for this is because of the unusual waste system.
I have been told this system is 'very efficient' (if this is so, where aren't there more of them and why have so few people heard of them?) but the fact remains that in view of the age of the property, the underground pit/well has taken all the waste water and human waste for nearly 80 years. As it is underground it cannot be seen or maintained and even if it is working perfectly now (and I cannot see how that can be known for certain), there must be a limit to its life.
I could see myself moving in and then within a short time of this, the pit would start to disintegrate and I would then have a frantic task to join up with the main sewer system in the road to which all but the four oldest houses in the road are linked. I ascertained from the Council that it would cost £12-£15,000 IF there was a connecter on the main sewage pipe, and about £20,000 if there wasn't. Plus all the paperwork, waiting, and disruption.
I asked the vendor to reduce the price to accommodate this but I did not receive an answer in the time I expected, so I decided to withdraw and look elsewhere. I told the estate agent that however wonderful the system is, or is supposed to be, it is inevitable that it will have to be linked to the mains in the near future. What concerned me was not only the age, and that nearly 80 years' worth of waste water and human waste had been poured out in a small underground area in a smallish front garden in a totally residential area, but apart from the pit having no maintenance, its four walls obviously had earth pressing up against them, and there was a concrete block on its top (i.e, apart from the soil pipe from the property, there is no other access), so I could not see it lasting that much longer. And of course, if I had bought the property, I would have all this trouble if I ever wanted to sell it. I was also told that it would be very difficult to obtain a mortgage to buy it.
I could not use it as a septic tank as I gather there are many holes in it, and there would still be leakage into the soil around it (the area covering the top of it is only about 3 yards way from the next door neighbours front garden).
If it did begin to disintegrate, I could hardly expect someone to come round and repair it in view of what's been continually poured into it for some 80 years. Surely physical contact would be a health hazard? I am no chemist, but I did just wonder about what happened to the gases being created from all the waste material in this pit?
I was told that another of its supposed 'positive features' was that it would save me about £25-£30 a month sewerage charges; well, l'd rather just pay this and have some peace of mind.
So, that's how this saga ended. Sadly, I was only told several weeks after I started the process to purchase the property, so I have wasted about £1000 in surveyor's and solicitors fees.

Painful maybe now, but long term probably for the best. I still think the matter was only brought to your attention for fear it would be discovered anyway during a survey. Any properly designed and installed septic tank system should be very efficient, basically if it doesn't work, then effluent very quickly backs up to the house and you're soon in trouble....

Bear in mind with any system of this nature, every drop of water used in the house for washing, cleaning and from the W.C. will find its way into the tank or pit. They all work on the basis of the liquid soaking away into the subsoil, (or in the case of mini treatment plants it can be discharged to a watercourse), and the solid matter breaking down to form sludge. This sludge needs removing periodically to allow the system to remain functioning. Quite what happens in the 'everlasting pit' I am not sure, but I am sure that the sludge created will not just 'vanish'!

The thing is a timebomb, one day it'll cease to function and digging it out (and possibly the surrounding contaminated soil) isn't going to come cheap, never mind connection to the sewer as well!

I once did a calculation, based what humans deposit into the toilet and came to the conclusion that to half fill a 4 cu.m septic tank would require going to the loo 300,000 times. Of course that is based based on optimum conditions! (Hence the 50+ year life of the "everlasting system"?).

Frank

'I once did a calculation, based what humans deposit into the toilet and came to the conclusion that to half fill a 4 cu.m septic tank would require going to the loo 300,000 times. Of course that is based based on optimum conditions! (Hence the 50+ year life of the "everlasting system"?)'.

The problem is that this pit was never emptied like a septic tank, the contents just seeped away into the earth (bearing in mind I am talking about a small garden here, only yards away from the property itself), and ignoring the possibility of a blockage occurring at some point, it was nigh on impossible to know if any of the pit had collapsed in on itself and of course if it did it would not be possible to repair it.
And apart from the human waste, I was concerned about all the water coming from the sink, shower, bath, washing machine and rainfall - all in/on an area of just a few feet...
To me, this pit is a wonderful method for a farm/smallholding, but wholly inappropriate for a property in a UK residential area in the 21st century.

The problem is that this pit was never emptied like a septic tank, the contents just seeped away into the earth

And what do you think happens to all the turds that go down a main sewer? Do you think that none of the water molecules you've consumed in your life have ever passed through another kidney?

it was nigh on impossible to know if any of the pit had collapsed in on itself and of course if it did it would not be possible to repair it.
Impossible because.. ?

And apart from the human waste, I was concerned about all the water coming from the sink, shower, bath, washing machine and rainfall
You mean just like has been happening for the past 80 years?

To me, this pit is a wonderful method for a farm/smallholding, but wholly inappropriate for a property in a UK residential area in the 21st century.
And yet it worked through most of the 20th century just fine. Curious.

The house wasn't right for you, but not because of the implemented waste disposal system.. 15 grand for a sewer connection in the middle of a residential area? If your next house needs decorating, do make sure someone else phones for the quotes won't you?

With regard to the previous reply, the OP has apparently not heard of a build-up of matter over time and the consequences of this.
And 'impossible' is used simply because of what has been going in the area for some 80 years. I doubt whether anyone would be willing to go into the pit and repair fallen brickwork, and certainly not for a charge that most people could afford. If the OP is willing to undertake this work, I will pass his details on to the people with these pits in this road.
'You mean just like has been happening for the past 80 years?'
Again if the OP was aware of water usage, the amount and flow of liquid has not been constant over the past 80 years as we now use more than in the period when the property was first built, e.g., washing machines.
As far as the OP's remarkable diagnosis about why I actually chose to not proceed in the purchase, I suggest he contacts the SPR and reports his telepathy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back