Impact resistent tiling

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi There

Looking for inspiration here.......

I am refitting the downstairs bathroom - the problem I am trying to design around is that a relative lives with us who has severe learning and behavioural difficulties. This can include and often does head banging or banging the walls with his hands - quite hard as hard as he can and he is a big lad.

So does the panel think that small mosaic tiles would be more resistant to cracking or breaking as opposed to larger tiles. I have had to fit MRP over insulation (solid brick walls brrrr) but have put the battening at 300mm distances apart to increase support.

In the shower I'll be Marmex panelling on the battening tanking with bal and then bal adhesive and the tiles.

Steel bath 3.5mm - he might bend it but he won't break it.

The other alternative wall covering is wood panelling over thin 9mm MR plywood on top of the battening.

Constructive comments are always welcomed gratefully :)

Sponsored Links
Hello,
In terms of the tiles breaking, then any decent porcelain will stand far more than any human can throw at it as long as its fitted properly. You might have a tougher time with mirrors\shower screens than tiles.

The only thing i would say is that none of them are soft\cushioning and so whilst they wont be damaged, your relation might be. Mosaics may be a bad idea as the joints might cause cuts\abrasions, whilst a large porcelain will have a smooth/shiny surface.

Not sure if this helps you at all?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back