Windows XP Pro 64 Bit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok so the new operating software can be had for around £95 now. Is anyone using it or have they tried it? What problems have you had? Is it recommended or is it still to early to make the switch?
I've been running a 64 bit capable system for a while now and would like to use it to it's full potential. What's the deal then guys?

Sponsored Links
Why bother when all the software you have is coded with the Win32 API's, completely pointless for a desktop system. Oh, and you're probably gonna run it on a 32 bit CPU as well !

I doubt there will be any detectable difference unless you have a 64bit machine and run the latest games on it.

Eddie M said:
Oh, and you're probably gonna run it on a 32 bit CPU as well !
How do you work that out then? I already said my system was capable of running 64 bit. I was under the impression that if you tried to load the 64 bit XP on a non 64 bit PC that it wouldn't install anyway. :confused:

JohnD said:
I doubt there will be any detectable difference unless you have a 64bit machine and run the latest games on it.
John, I do like to play the latest games and I have a 64 bit machine.

Has anyone actually used it?

Sponsored Links
64 bit capable, depends whether it is a true 64 bit machine or is the core still 32 bit?

Eddie M said:
64 bit capable, depends whether it is a true 64 bit machine or is the core still 32 bit?
Wow! I didn't realise that there were any of those :eek:

Do you know which CPUs run XP-64-bit, but are only masquerading as 64-bit, so that I know which ones to avoid?

Confess I don't know that, it was the word capable that had me concerned. Lots of things that a billed as capable, xyx ready etc, are often not the genuine article, just something perhaps to be aware of, and research into. That said, the bit about all the apps being Win32 apps is still a given.

In fact a quick look at the Intel site suggests this is correct, EM64T, even a brief read suggests that this is simpy a kludge to allow 64 bit operations.

Then again, read this should shed some light on the matter, again, I confess I haven't read it.

Kev, I believe is your haste for hilarity you have mistyped :LOL:

Again you have to be a bit careful sometimes, such as Win 95 being a 32 bit operating system, hmmmmm !

I put XP 64 on an Acer laptop for a mate. No noticable difference in performance but loads of problems getting compatable drivers. Still looking for the WIFI driver. Some programs didn't install but most did (64 bit processors and emulate 32 bit code, but not 16 bit code, which is used by some companies to run installation scripts).

The main advantage of 64 bit is that your not limited by RAM, reason why servers run on 64Bit platforms.

Sponsored Links
Back