How often should I get my gas boiler serviced?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Parents have electric underfloor heading so I am new to gas boilers.

Unit was serviced as part of the sale of the house but has done three years since then and is obviously going to run for more hours in the next three months than the following 9.

Never missed a beat and I don't feel I want to pay for a service/breakdown contract but if should be serviced annually its clearly now over due.

Found the below on another thread, but no mention of how often is advised, or equally what the risks are if you don't.

Its a Main 30HE I think.

Daniel

Servicing is a very variable procedure based on the boiler model, age and known issues.

If the histroy of your boiler is known it may only require the vessel to be inflated a litttle, fan pressure taken, flue gas analysis taken and a few other basic safety checks.

However a full service (and the way I do them on these Worcesters) would entail...

Bleed all radiators, drop the pressure and check/inflate expansion vessel, re-presurise system
Replace auto air vent if suspect blocked/leaking
Working pressure taken at meter and boiler
Tightness test of boiler gas valve
Remove fan, burner, heat exchanger access cover, electrodes, condensate trap, condensate syphon
Scrape through/brush and jetwash heat exchanger
Wash out sump (and if necessary remove telescopic flue section for access)
Dis-assemble condensate trap and clean
Wash out and check exit hole in syphon
Check fan impeller and burner for debris
Re-assemble with new trap seals, fan outlet seal, bearing plate, burner seal, hex acc. cover seal, electrodes (inc. seal/sight glass etc.)
Check boiler for any water leaks/faults etc
Check flue and condensate run
Run boiler and adjust check combustion high and low
Check disturbed joints with gas sniffer
Measure and calculate gas consumption
Check boiler for previous stored errors
Check ionisation current
Test flame lockout
Re-test flue gas analysis with case on (to further check flue integrity)
Check other gas appliances (visual)

A typical parts cost would be around £75.00 and it's anything from 2 to 3 hours work :) around £175 total.

From: //www.diynot.com/forums/plumbi...ler-service-beware-di.361959/#2739480[/QUOTE]

Sponsored Links
Its not a joke, I expect I should been more on the ball with the and most likely had it done before now, but its fallen through the cracks and given no trouble so I have not. I have no paperwork for the boiler and having just rung up, warranty is only 1 year anyway hence irreverent.
Obviously they are room sealed, so unless that fails/leaks any issues with the burn would be unlikely to effect the inside of the house so I see the risks (aside from breakdown) to be low.

I am fairly practical and normally do all my own work on the house, as well as lot of the work on my cars, but wouldn't be looking this work myself as I don't have the time or an gas/co detector which seems to be part of a service.

-What am I looking for in someone to service it?
-Is the £175 about the right price, allowing for regional variation?
-Do people normally have service contact?

Daniel

Sponsored Links
A service should be about £84................What? :mrgreen:

Not happy!!!! Just spat beer at my iPad!

To the OP if you want a service doing then call round your local RGI's.

That blanket service you posted is good for nothing really.

Just because an appliance is room sealed does not make it low risk mad possible to run for years without service.

An annual inspection for your boiler is just as important as the annual inspection your car gets! Both will kill you with the smallest of faults.

Where in staffs are you? Feel free to message me via PM and if you're local I'll have a look and if not may be able to put you onto someone else that will do a decent job.

Jon

Cant really tell if the post about it costing £85 is a **** take or what.

I presume RGI stands for 'registered gas installer' aka someone on the gas safe register?

Cant send you a pm as with not 'friends' mad. Have sent you a text as you have a phone no on your profile.

Daniel

Spoke with JonJB over the phone, as was expected he is a bit far away from me, but was able to provide good information non the less.

- £85 is a reference to an in joke, but also about the right price for the area.
- The list in the opening post is angled towards a Worcester combi and contains things not needed for a Main HE
- Find someone local and ensure they do more than just wave a flu gas analyser at it and sign it off for another year.

Sounds good advice to me, so thanks for the call.

Daniel

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back