Which cable to install outdoor socket?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I have purchased this socket
outdoor_socket.jpg

Which i want to install on the opposite side of the wall of this available under-counter socket
undercounter_socket.jpg

Which has this 13amp fused switch
13amp_switch.jpg

I have also purchased an RCD adapter, as my intended installation is to drill a hole through the wall, connect the cable to the socket, the other end to a plug, which goes in to the RCD which then goes in to this socket.
Does this appear to be correct?
I copied this idea from the many outdoor socket kits that are out there, but worked out buying the parts separate is cheaper, just need verification on the cable.

From the limited research i've done, would 240v 16amp 3-core 1.5mmsq cable be ok to use?

The use of the double socket is intended purely for lawnmower / garden tool / pressure washer use.
Thank you

Sponsored Links
Just because someone sells a kit to do something the crap way doesn't mean you should do it that way.

Do it properly, wire the new socket into the back of the existing one. If you don't already have RCD protection on the circuit replace the FCU with a RCD one.

As for cable type i'd just use ordinary 2.5mm T&E.

Just because someone sells a kit to do something the crap way doesn't mean you should do it that way.

Do it properly, wire the new socket into the back of the existing one. If you don't already have RCD protection on the circuit replace the FCU with a RCD one.

As for cable type i'd just use ordinary 2.5mm T&E.

Thanks for the advice,
Looking at the consumer unit then i don't need the additional RCD?
consumer_box.jpg

Sponsored Links
I love the "pick and mix" MCB's :LOL:

DS

Ah don't go there, we have a housing assoc house.. can u tell? lol The lid on the consumer box doesn't close properly because of the larger mcb's, and the reason the shower one is tripped is they changed our electric shower to a thermostatic one, so what the electrician done is simply removed the wire out the back of that mcb and left it like that instead of putting a blank in, and yeah the wire is loose in the box...apparently it's too much like spaghetti junction in the back to do anything else with it, and he just put a blanking plate on the switch in the bathroom lol

Great !

Well do as plugwash advises and the job will be a good'un make sure you silicon round your outdoor socket and it's water tight.

Regards,

DS

Which i want to install on the opposite side of the wall of this available under-counter socket
undercounter_socket.jpg

13amp_switch.jpg
That socket is supplied through the FCU, is it?

Is it used much, or for anything?

The reason I ask is that it's a BGI to have double-pole isolation for outside sockets, then if you do get any water penetration causing earth leakage you can just turn it off and not have the RCD trip, until you can sort the problem. If you can live without the inside socket then (assuming it's double pole) the FCU will do duty as an isolator.

Well do as plugwash advises and the job will be a good'un make sure you silicon round your outdoor socket and it's water tight.
Rather than rely on sealant like that, I'd advise drilling a hole (angled downwards as it heads out) large enough to take flexible conduit, take that out through the wall, then up (leaving a drip loop) and glanded into the bottom of the external socket enclosure.

undercounter_socket.jpg

13amp_switch.jpg
That socket is supplied through the FCU, is it?

Is it used much, or for anything?

The reason I ask is that it's a BGI to have double-pole isolation for outside sockets, then if you do get any water penetration causing earth leakage you can just turn it off and not have the RCD trip, until you can sort the problem. If you can live without the inside socket then (assuming it's double pole) the FCU will do duty as an isolator.

Hi, yes the socket is supplied through the FCU, the socket was formally used for a dishwasher that we no longer require so got rid. The space is being used to place a litter tray so we will have no use for it, and will be placing one of those socket covers in it.
The outdoor socket is only for garden power tool useage, and when not in use will be switched off at the FCU :)

Not unless it has got polystyrene insulation in it.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=903638#903638

Actually - re my suggestion - you could do that if you just used tough rubber sheathed cable - though the wall angled downwards, drip loop, up through a stuffing gland into the bottom of the socket.

USEFUL TIP:

If you have cavity walls, then once you've done the final pass with a drill, do not pull it out. Remove it from the drill chuck, and tie a piece of string to the end, then pull it out, and use the string to get the cable through the holes. Otherwise you'll have the deep joy of trying to find the hole in one leaf having poked the cable through the other one.

Rather than rely on sealant like that, I'd advise drilling a hole (angled downwards as it heads out) large enough to take flexible conduit, take that out through the wall, then up (leaving a drip loop) and glanded into the bottom of the external socket enclosure.

LOL I posted a question about this immediately after you posted about protecting the cable in the cavity. The only gutting thing for me is my largest masonry drill bit is only 16mm :(

Not unless it has got polystyrene insulation in it.

//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=903638#903638

Actually - re my suggestion - you could do that if you just used tough rubber sheathed cable - though the wall angled downwards, drip loop, up through a stuffing gland into the bottom of the socket.

USEFUL TIP:

If you have cavity walls, then once you've done the final pass with a drill, do not pull it out. Remove it from the drill chuck, and tie a piece of string to the end, then pull it out, and use the string to get the cable through the holes. Otherwise you'll have the deep joy of trying to find the hole in one leaf having poked the cable through the other one.

Ahh so tough rubber sheathed cable maybe the solution, but at what cost, for what 1 - 2 meters? Any chance you can link me to some....... and no to the socket covers then lol Cheers

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back