New install- pay *after* got cert, and No TDS test, regrets?

CO detectors have little purpose unless you have old fashioned open flued appliances or open fires (of ANY fuel ).

Your new boiler is room sealed and unless severely wrongly assembled will not allow gas products to enter the room.

Tony

Yes, unless severely wrongly assemble...In our last home, we had a new boiler and system installed incorrectly. After about 18 months of behaving strangely, a 3rd party H.E noticed that the inner tube of flue, the end of which sits right on top of the boiler, was a 'plastic' type- for condensing boilders. They'd fitted a part from a condensing boiler (cooler gases) into our 'normal' non-condensing boiler. The tube melted and deformed, gases mixed and we got a perpetual flame uplift problem.
It's a long story, but it gave me the fear.
We also have a woodburner, so 4 Co detectors is quite reasonable ;)

Sponsored Links
Any a good top tip for installers is never notify the boiler until customer pays as they have a habit of forgetting once they have everything.
You have the boiler it is fitted and working, your installer advised against flush if you didn't agree with this you should have chose someone else, but you obviousley have gone for the cheapest quote.
If you have a test and it fails how can you "make the installer clean the system" he doesn't have a legal obligation to do so as he didn't say he was going to flush and didn't charge you for one. So even if you do ask him to be is entitled to charge accordingly.

You payed your money you made your choice.

You are welcome to re-read my posts. If you quote someone in your post to make your point, you need to use their words not your own. I.e, I did not say "make the installer".

Signing off with hackneyed platitudes "you paid your money", "buyer beware", are pretty meaningless if you've made a hash of the argument..

Please R-e-a-d points 1 and 2.

Sponsored Links
So one person mentioned tds readings.

The one you chose didn't so you want to withold payment until he produces one?

Pay the man his money.

I can hear your input "Pay the man his money" in the voice of a frustrated Frank Butcher. You have to be comedy trolling me? Are you Mr Construe?

My post of this morning, (Posted: Fri Nov 14, 2014 7:26 am) addressed another aspiring comedian as follows:

Which part of

1.... "I am happy with it as it is?"

2. ..."My plan is to pay on invoice"

Do you NOT understand?

I'll try it a few more ways...

He has not invoiced me. When he does, I will pay him. Once he sends me his invoice, he will be payed. He has not sent it yet, hence I have not paid him. At point of invoice, I will pay. Payment is contingent on invoice... etc etc

Cue some more gross misinterpretations of what I have said followed by the 'knockout' angry-Frank-Butcher platitudes -
"A man's gotta eat!"
"This is someone's livelihood"
"Pay up you wrongun/slaaaaag!"

I have gotten some sound advice (thanks for this) on the merits/demerits of TDS, the merits of ensuring receipt of Gas-safe cert by witholding payment (few). Everything else is moot.

CO detectors have little purpose unless you have old fashioned open flued appliances or open fires (of ANY fuel ).

Your new boiler is room sealed and unless severely wrongly assembled will not allow gas products to enter the room.

Tony

That is a pretty stupid statement, Tony. Some folk may be peed off at being called to a false alarm - (I have sold many, and never had an issue!)

Why would you effectively advise someone to degrade their safety systems.

Have you not heard of the tragic case where a young lad died of CO poisoning - in his bed and the fumes were coming from next door.

or the death caused by CO entering a property through a ginnel roof?

Actually the installer has not cleaned the system, you tried to. Furthermore, you have not cleaned the system you have simply added a cleanser and your installer didn't clean it he simply drained it if I read the post correctly.

You cannot guarantee to powerflush microbore successfully as you can't get the necessary flow rate through the pipework.

You've done what you thought best but I think a little understanding is a dangerous thing, or at least unhelpful.

Did the installer or your add inhibitor? If so don't waste you time with a TDS meter as the inhibitor will affect the reading unless you know exactly the proportion of concentration to system volume and get the details from the inhibitor manufacturer. You will not know this.

You can buy a meter perfectly adequate for the job from an aquarium shop or ebay less than a twenty quid but to prove what?

I believe the bunny guys carry a meter but often just drain some water to look at it. I think if it's a good install by an approved installer they will apply common sense and appreciate not all of the rubbish an be removed. If it is clearly thrown in and a problem likely to last for years they may fix it but walk away afterwards noting the state of the install then use it to avoid coming back. They are good guys in my experience and protect the company name.

You cannot guarantee to powerflush microbore successfully as you can't get the necessary flow rate through the pipework.

Yes I heard as such on this forum. I'd thought that you could do TDS tests independent of PF but I am understanding that they go together/are rarely apart.

but I think a little understanding is a dangerous thing, or at least unhelpful.
Agreed! I have made many such mistakes! More to come, too!

Did the installer or your add inhibitor?

yes, they did, and Magnaclean, and scale thingy..

If so don't waste you time with a TDS meter as the inhibitor will affect the reading unless you know exactly the proportion of concentration to system volume and get the details from the inhibitor manufacturer. You will not know this.

V. Useful, thanks. Another reason not to bother, along with Fireman's point, that any argument with Vailant will hinge on *their* readings at time of fault as much if not more than anything else.

You can buy a meter perfectly adequate for the job from an aquarium shop or ebay less than a twenty quid but to prove what?

It would be peace of mind (me with 4 Co alarms :oops:)- if it were off-the scale awful, I would appeal to the installer to clean the system. I'd expect he might want to see it for himself?? Just to be clear, this is after I have paid him and based on his willing etc.

I believe the bunny guys........
Who are the bunny guys? The info reads interesting but I am baffled..

Thanks for your post.

Agile said:

Tony

..and if someone leaves an FGA test point cap off?

doubt if it will make much difference what u have , drinking quality water in the system they will probably still try & weasle out of a warranty claim ;)

u should have fitted a vokera ;)

doubt if it will make much difference what u have , drinking quality water in the system they will probably still try & weasle out of a warranty claim ;)

u should have fitted a vokera ;)

This ^ (apart from the Vokera) sorry Vulcan :lol

There was a vid posted on here a while back a customer had taken of heat team engineers.

Customer had a hot water issue & they kept telling her it was water quality issues. Turned out it was a faulty HW NTC and after the engineer had replaced it they still told her it was due to dirty system water (a blatant lie).

If you're that concerned get a fernox sample kit and send it away. it will cost you £70 odd quid but you'll get far more info than a TDS reading

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back